2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New at this and need all the help I can get please

New at this and need all the help I can get please 11 years 8 months ago #19025

Hello,
My name is Tim, I am a grandfather of 2 girls that wants me to take them to the woods to find different plants. I thought I would get them into finding ginseng, but alas I must admit I just can't find any. To me it all looks so much like poison ivy. I really need some help, I have pictures of it but just can't seem to find it. I was told to look for ferns in the woods and that would be a good place to check first, is this true?
I could use any help so that I can teach these kids some of the good things in life.

Thanks for any help that you could give me.
I live in central Illinois below Springfield, and east of I55.
Once again thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:New at this and need all the help I can get please 11 years 8 months ago #19027

Hi Tim, you're on the right track looking in areas near ferns. maidenhair fern is especially a good indicator. Some of my other favorite companion plant include wild ginger, black cohosh, jack-in-the-pulpit,@ and Solomon's seal. Bloodroot is good too, but most of the tops are probably already down. From what I've been hearing a lot of the ginseng if not nearly all of it has already gone down in your area because of the heat. If you are determined to find some I'd recommend north facing banks, but down low on the hill near the creek bed. Good luck to you!

Re:New at this and need all the help I can get please 11 years 8 months ago #19028

Thank you for the quick reply.
I thought I was in the right areas, but all I saw was poison ivy. I have trouble telling the poison ivy from the ginseng, any help with that?
I just don't want to take the grand kids out and give them poison ivy.

Tim

Re:New at this and need all the help I can get please 11 years 8 months ago #19033

you will want to find the oldest woods that you can find. i know here in central ohio majority of the good woods were chopped down for farm land, as in most of the US. we still have large areas of mature woods though, another good idea is to go ahead and get permits from the federal government if you have a national forest you can hunt in Illinois. We have Wayne National Forest here, and im going to pay the 20 bucks this year to get a permit. like the other fella said, you want to look for nicely shaded woods that have companion plants of ginseng. i always have my best luck on a slight slope or where 2 different slopes meet together. if you can find some jack in the pulpit, chances are you will find ginseng, and oddly enough alot of ppl think that jack in the pulpit is ginseng bc of the red cluster on top. there are some great videos on youtube if you need some visuals to help you. hope that helps, good luck=)

Re:New at this and need all the help I can get please 11 years 8 months ago #19036

Hey Tim,

Best of luck at getting started finding ginseng.

It is not so easy when you are just starting out. Most of us learned by going with a experienced seng hunter and really that is the best way to learn.

You might check out some of my youtube video's... I have several of actual ginseng hunts - finding a ginseng plant, sort of walking into it so you see what it is like to approach the plant. I talk about companion plants some too.

IMO - the Maidenhair Fern is the best companion plant (in my area at least). I am from Southern Middle TN area, so it could be a little different up there where you are.

Here is a link to my youtube channel... I have several video's of seng hunts, and several showing the wild simulated I have been planting too.

www.youtube.com/yttnhunter

Here is another great youtube channel to check out - Billy's..

www.youtube.com/ginsenghunter1

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:New at this and need all the help I can get please 11 years 8 months ago #19087

Thank you for the info, I thought I was close to finding some, but every time it turned out to be poison ivy.
I will check out your links and see what I am missing i hope.

Tim

Re:New at this and need all the help I can get please 11 years 8 months ago #19097

Tim,
As 5prong mentioned, it may have already gone down in your area because of early drought.
Take TNs' advice and find an experienced seng hunter to get you started.
It's a hard plant to find.

rootman

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 252 guests and no members online

Login