2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: size of your avg. roots

size of your avg. roots 11 years 8 months ago #19259

hi ya all,
my first yr learning..
what is an average size of root is expected for a legal root 5-10yr old?
(smallest you have kept and average you have kept?)
and boy do i like looking at some of these very old roots i got a chance to look over a root 78 yr old a local fella has had for he said 20 yr pluss his daddy found when he was a kid just learning.
Dont think im going to be selling this yr im just learning but thinking alot about trasnsplanting.
thats why im wanting to try and find an avg. so i know i might be doing alright when i get started.
east tennessee root is what im interested in knowledge im at this time...
but all info from anywhere is welcome for my knowledge building.
Thank you ALL
newman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:size of your avg. roots 11 years 8 months ago #19260

Good post newmanineastTN. I would really suggest if you have good spots to dig in, let roots go to a minimum of 15-20 yo. I normally try and have the bulk of mine 25 and up. By doing this you get a premium price. As an example I think most diggers sold for an average of $450 - $550 last year, I sold for $650! Also take care to dig your roots right, break off nothing. Of course this is not always possible, but strive to keep as many of the hair roots as possible.

Also keep trying to find the best buyer possible. You've got to try and cut out the guy that is selling to that guy, who is selling to that guy, who is selling to that guy. Your buyer should be very happy to see the quality of your root and should treat you well for your quality roots.If he is not mentioning quality and age, find someone else.

Good luck!
Attachments:

Re:size of your avg. roots 11 years 8 months ago #19264

wow im very impressed i cant wait till i can poast a pic werthy of finding .....im planning on not digging this yr for sale but when i find a handfull like that a pic is going to be here!!!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds

Who's Online

We have 91 guests and no members online

Login