2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: ginseng conservation(new method?)

ginseng conservation(new method?) 11 years 7 months ago #19468

With the state regulations tightening up almost to the point of closing all together my dad and I did some experimenting with the little growth knobs at the top of the necks on ones that had broken off in our bags. Well this year every growth knob and neck we had planted sprouted up a new plant although there was no root beneath it! We have been in contact with the IA Dnr in regards to our findings. My question is does this being gone off the root affect value of the roots? If not this could be huge as far as producing further generations of plants as the regrowth plants these produce are as large as they were when they had a whole root thus producing more berries from a root that was already harvested! Anyone have any opinions or input on this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:ginseng conservation(new method?) 11 years 7 months ago #19469

IowaGrown, there was a recent tread under the growing ginseng forum by Latt with the title \"planting root neck\" you should check out. I believe it will answer all your questions on this topic.

Re:ginseng conservation(new method?) 11 years 7 months ago #19600

This isn't anything new. I've been planting back next years bud attached to 2-3 year scars for many, many years. I also remember watching a demonstration by John Epler in the mid 90s showing the same method of propagation. The first season the plant will be quite smal with very little root growth, but the following year they really take off. Great way to harvest a root and still allow the plant to survive. I have yet to here a buyer complain. I don't take enough of the neck to really effect over all length much.

Re:ginseng conservation(new method?) 11 years 7 months ago #19602

Fellows,

I think that it would be a great idea for someone who has been practicing this to do a little picture tutorial on how to do this properly. Any one else like the idea.
Hugh

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds

Who's Online

We have 363 guests and no members online

Login