2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: TNhunter 2013 Season...

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 7 months ago #25136

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 7 months ago #25137

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 6 months ago #25183

Got to get out and hunt a little this morning.

Did not have a lot of luck, hit one hollow and found a few, then up and over a main ridge and into another hollow that looked good on topo map but found not one single seng plant. It had some maiden hair fern but no seng at all. The creek was gravel, not slick rock, and around here the seng does not usually start showing up until you get that slick rock creek.

Anyway... walked a lot, got a few. Found one really nice one.

A few pics below.

Many of the ones I found today were nice and yellow like the one below.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 6 months ago #25184

Here is a pic of what I got today.

That root on top was a nice tall 3 pronger and it had a nice root on it. Weighed in at 1.0 oz.

That is a good one for around here.

A few more for the drying rack.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 6 months ago #25185

Founds some interesting fungi type stuff growing on a old log. It was white as snow.

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 6 months ago #25186

And last pic from todays hunt..

Cant' believe it - I was walking up a hollow and found another nice 9 pointer rack on the skull.

This one looked like it had been there a couple of years, had been nawed on by mice and critters.
It was nice high rack and again probably someone's big one that got away.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 6 months ago #25187

chicks dig it... Nice roots and plants, congrats!

TNhunter... Wow, that is a nice 3 prong root and the other roots aren't bad either! Congrats! I haven't seen any real yellowing on the plants around here yet, but I haven't been out much either. It it is probably a sign that they (the Ginseng plants) are at the end of their' cycle for this year and had nothing to do with cold weather, since we really haven't had any cold spells. It is possible that with the less rain we have been having, could be affecting them but the cause may be more due to all of the rain we had this year and some plants may be suffering from calcium and magnesium (deficiency) washout of the soils.

That is/was a nice 9 pointer rack and I am sure that somebody was not a happy camper! I have a saying that I blurt out when I hear 2 or more shots in rapid succession during Rifle Season, \"that someone is not a happy camper\".

Frank

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 6 months ago #25190

Hey TNhunter, open up a shooting school!

TNhunter wrote:

And last pic from todays hunt..

Cant' believe it - I was walking up a hollow and found another nice 9 pointer rack on the skull.

This one looked like it had been there a couple of years, had been nawed on by mice and critters.
It was nice high rack and again probably someone's big one that got away.

TNhunter

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 6 months ago #25191

ihavent found any yellow ones yet what part of tn are you from im from near Knoxville . seems like plants are still really green hope it lasts until haloween

Re:TNhunter 2013 Season... 10 years 6 months ago #25193

Thanks for the comments guys..

Chicks I am from Southern Middle TN. I found some today that were past yellow in the brownish stage and some that a prong or two had fallen off and even one that had nothing but a stem and a couple of red berries on it.

By the way that was some nice seng pics you posted. Looks more like mountain seng to me.

TNhunter

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

Who's Online

We have 377 guests and no members online

Login