2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2000+ acres

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 6 months ago #26390

Wish that most folks rolled like that, Latt. Good ethics that make sense.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 6 months ago #26391

Latt wrote:

Hawkeye,
It is nice of you to offer to take some folk to your spots. I am an Eastern Ohio boy originally and have walked the foothills. Would love to scale some real mountains someday tho.

Not my place to give advice so please forgive me in advance. But I saw some fellas post their general as well as their specific hunting areas on a morel mushroom forum one time only to find every lurker on the internet hunting morels in their spots. I would hate to see anyone take advantage of your generosity by jumping your spots. Just never know who is reading these post. I know our forum members would not do that but there are many lurkers out there.

A fellas personal hunting spot is sacred in my eyes. I have showed a few former friends my secrete spots to hunt morels and seng only to find out they went back to that spot without me.

Once they do that they are out of the loop. I have other friends tho that will not do that to me and I am happy to show them my spots as they only go there when I invite them.

I have permission from a property owner to hunt a 93 acre woods anytime I want. Deer, Morels or seng etc. However, a buddy of mine has been hunting the same 93 acres for over 20 years. I consider it his spot and I will not go in there unless he invites me to do so.

Even the property owner does not understand why I will not go in there because he gave me permission. As far as I am concerned it is my buddies spot and those kind of spots are sacred to us woodsmen and only are available if the person ask me to go with them.
That how I roll.
Latt

Excellent post Latt and I agree wholeheartedly!

I have seen all too often where folks post too much information about locations where they metal detect, hunt seng or hunt Deer, only to find that their hunting spot is overrun by others the next time they go out. There are lurkers on many forums that only browse through postings to find good locations. Even not long ago, I advised someone of some locations that I wanted to check out and I fear that they went to these spots without me.

I am the same way, if someone has permission to a piece of property first, I will never go in there unless they invite me. I will even pass up areas in the National Forest that has thousands of acres to hunt, if I find that someone has gotten to the parking/access area before me. I will continue on or turn around and go to other spots that I have scouted in the past. Even if I get to a spot first and someone comes in behind me and later I see them sitting in a treestand on the ridge I am walking, I will detour several hundred yards or more down and around the mountain to get past them without upsetting their hunting spot.

It would be nice if all hunters of Ginseng, Deer, Turkey or other game had good morals but not all do, so we have to watch out for ourselves and protect our secret spots!

Frank

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 6 months ago #26396

I must say that it truly makes me proud to be amongst so many ethical people. If more people were like this in all aspects of life we all would be more trusting and trustworthy as well. Hey Kirby I'm looking forward to sat. So Hawkeye looks like u have a plethora of folks to choose from. LOL! I hope everyone enjoys the upcoming holiday season, God Bless and be safe!!

Re:2000+ acres 10 years 6 months ago #26400

I know latt. I agree with what you say but I know there are some honest people out there. Take chicks for instance...he said he'd even share some spots. I respect that. I didn't ask for anyone to share spots nor did I expect someone to offer. Some of my spots are sacred but they are not secret. I've run into other seingers out in the middle of nowhere. I may have scouted the area a few months before but because I found those plants doesn't mean I have ownership. They are fair game while they are still in the ground. Like I said earlier in another post, I am not greedy. The areas I hunt in are rugged! I like the steep slopes. Some of the people that own some of these areas are rugged too lol. Someone got shot on a piece of property they didn't have permission to hunt on that I do have permission to be on. Unknown vehicles parked roadside of certain tracks of land get their windows busted out during ginseng season. There are some vicious people around here and I love it. With that being said, I'd trust that someone I take to a few spots wouldn't be that greedy or ignorant to go back without me being there.

Yes bawhite. I have everyones number and email.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

Who's Online

We have 392 guests and no members online

Login