2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Geographical Disadvantage Maybe?

Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29293

Hey guys I'm just 2yrs into hunting for ginseng and I've only found it in one location. So far scouting new areas this year has been a bust. I've been in areas identical to where I dug last year but no luck. I've found lots of cohosh, MHF, bloodroot, logs and rock are covered in green moss, even found spicebush yesterday. I'm located in Henry Co. VA right against Patrick Co. I'm curious if I need to focus on higher elevation maybe. When looking at topo maps what are you guys looking for. I'm addicted after finding some last year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29294

I'll try to help you out a bit, this is where I found a nice little patch yesterday (red X) I would also consider the O's high priority spots as well. The O's are starting points from where I will zig zag, circle around these hillsides.
Attachments:

Re:Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29295

That's some nice areas pabilly I'd b very excited to look in a area like that too.good luck take some pics of those nice shang plants

Re:Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29296

yes, I'm blessed with a never ending amount of these nocks and crannies on the rolling hills around here.

Re:Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29297

So I'm I reading this right by seeing the inside of hollows leading up? By the way thanks for this info.

Re:Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29298

I'm not saying to walk up the stream but give the head of the hollow a good looking over on both sides of the lowest points (where the water begins to collect and run down) and above a water source if there is one present at the head of that hollow. Most of these nocks aren't going to be big enough to have water running in them...

Re:Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29300

continue following these little valley's right up to the top of the ridge if it looks good,seeing the associated plants that grows where sang grows. It so happens this is where I've found most of the sang in this new area,the very top, some easy walking but this isn't always going to be the case This spot where the red X is happens to be the exception but that's an excellent starting point....

Re:Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29301

Ok I've been mainly staying on the bottom of the ridges above creek beds maybe going 1/4 way up or little further if a draw or hollow runs down. Seems to me like the companion plants disappear 1/2 way up where I'm located

Re:Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29302

that's interesting that the companion plants aren't on the top half. Are the types of trees,under bush changing up higher ? Are you looking on the more favorable exposures, north around to southeast ? It may be your in a poor area for sang...

Re:Geographical Disadvantage Maybe? 9 years 9 months ago #29303

I've mainly focused on North/Northeast trees stay the same to top of ridges mostly poplar, beech, maples but once 1/2 way up its seems I lose all undergrowth. Now where I'm at isn't mountains I'm really in the foothills so to speak

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

Who's Online

We have 219 guests and no members online

Login