2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: first year hunting

first year hunting 9 years 9 months ago #29368

Hello this is my first post and also the first year I will be scouting and hunting ginseng. I have been reading everything I can on all medicinal roots including ginseng,also watching every video about them I can on youtube. Well I went scouting for the first time this last week and I found 1 very nice spot for bloodroot I dug about half of what was there.I also found 15-20 4 prongs and 25-30 nice 3s:). Ohh yeah and the first 1 I found was a 4 Prong it was near the bloodroot I was soo happy. At first I didn't think I'd ever find any but once I seen that first 1 it was like it unlocked a door. Well I'd like to know how yall think I did for the first time, and also I've been thinking if I should dig some and plant the berries or should I leave them be and just really take care of planting the seeds each year and turn it into something a lot bigger. Let me know what yall think ill be greatful for any advice and opinions.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:first year hunting 9 years 9 months ago #29372

Welcome and congrats sangosang.
Yea, I do a lot of just stewarding the ginseng I find. It's great to see them year after year as well as planting their berries/seeds each year too.
Latt

Re:first year hunting 9 years 9 months ago #29388

Update
The spot I talked about in my last post was an east facing hill today I went to the north side I walked for about 3/4 miles on this north facing hill and there was maiden hair fern all over the bottom half of it.I only found 1 lil 2 prong and I searched that hill good. At the bottom of the hill is a creek and the top of the hill turns into field.the hill is very steep I'd say 10 to 12 pitch it had some other plants on it some lil water weeds and stuff but no other companion plants other than MHF I was quite surprised. It seems weird to me was it Poached or was it just never really there to begin with? Tell me what you think about it.

Re:first year hunting 9 years 9 months ago #29394

Hard to tell sangosang.

When you find that sweet spot were everything looks and feels right and there is no seng growing, I always feel it has been dug out at some point. Especially when you find a small two prong it shows me seng was probably there at one time.
Latt

Re:first year hunting 9 years 8 months ago #29584

There's no harm in having some seed in your pocket, and planting while you dig. And especially if you find a spot where it should be growing, it makes you feel good when you put a few dozen seeds back into the ground.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 232 guests and no members online

Login