2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Great Day in Pa

Great Day in Pa 9 years 7 months ago #30155

Hey all. Well I decided to leave the farm back in WV and make a drive to hunt some land in Pa today and boy am I glad I did. Went in blind and found piles of yellowroot, bloodroot, black and blue cohosh as well as cranesbill, and by 3:00 pm not terribly discouraged by the lack of sang; I had commenced to digging yellowroot. On my way out I spotted a nice 4-prong and next to it a decent 3- prong. About 20 yards away was a patch of at least 50 3-prongs or better as well as I could estimate. I dug as many as I could (about 40) before the thunderstorms rolled in. Can't wait to get back as it was great soil and easy digging. Couldn't have ended the day in a better way...bout 3/8- 1/2 pound of green sang dug in about 15 minutes. Will make my first attempt at posting a pic later.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Great Day in Pa 9 years 7 months ago #30158

Sounds like a good day!

Re:Great Day in Pa 9 years 7 months ago #30170

I also forgot to mention that all the berries had previously fallen from the plants I dug today, while the plants on my farm less than 100 miles away and at roughly the same elevation maintained their berries as of yesterday. Soil differences perhaps?

Re:Great Day in Pa 9 years 7 months ago #30173

Within a few miles of each other I've seen the fallen and ripe in the plant. Young ones have green and maybe starting to turn. Ya, I think soil and or the ability to hold moisture has something to do with it. I've also seen some yellow plants already, but I chalk that up to stressed from to much sun.

Re:Great Day in Pa 9 years 7 months ago #30176

I agree. I have some really nice 4-prongs on my property that exist in about 50% shade. They are yellow by mid-June and gone by August every year.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

Who's Online

We have 401 guests and no members online

Login