2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finding sang in the \"White\" areas

Finding sang in the \"White\" areas 7 years 8 months ago #38752

Probably most of us are familiar with USGA 1:24,000-scale Topo maps with the contour lines, the white and green colored maps.
What I was wondering was how many people find much ginseng in the white colored areas which mean at one time was cleared land.. I have found some but realized I don't pay much attention to these areas when on the computer looking at maps.
But, sometimes they look really good from the satellite views.
And this brings up another question, how long does it take for ginseng to regenerate in these areas. I often find woods that was pasture, farmland at one time and note how free of low vegetation they are, even though the trees growing there are quite old. Are nutrients taken out of this land when it was farmed and small plants including sang have a hard time re-adjusting to the land.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Finding sang in the \"White\" areas 7 years 8 months ago #38776

I look at maps a lot too WPa. Around here we had a lot of small farms, but also a lot of steep faces on these farms where farmers can not or could not, pasture their cows or sheep. I try and take a look at these areas and steer away from old pasture lands.

As far as how long does it take for pasture land to regenerate, I think it depends on the soils, but most cases I would imagine quite a while. Here the first trees to regenerate are fast growing conifers, mostly white pine, or stuff like birch which are not to suitable for sang. Later on good hardwood like maple come in.

Re:Finding sang in the \"White\" areas 7 years 8 months ago #38779

I noticed that my cattle eat just about anything that is green except blood root n blue cohosh. But even worse is the constant packing of the soil making it hard as rock and go on all slopes except the steepest. I don't have the mountains like u Maya n WPA. So we know there not to many cows running around your steep mountains. Where my cows haven't been is my best ground n I'm find some good areas to grow my Shang.
Around my area there is alot of clear cutting due to Fort Drum they chip everything to help fuel drum n create energy they need . which leaves complete open exposure in great ground but even here after the lovely berry bushes start getting thick Shang starts to reappear.

Re:Finding sang in the \"White\" areas 7 years 8 months ago #38806

that's kinda rough circumstances there having those kind of trees begin the process, at least here the tulips start right up again in places where the ground is fertile, then as I said there's places where trees will regenerate but small plants don't seem to for some reason. I have found a little sang in what was farmland but never really any big stuff.

Re:Finding sang in the 7 years 8 months ago #38807

Hobler666shang wrote:

I noticed that my cattle eat just about anything that is green except blood root n blue cohosh. But even worse is the constant packing of the soil making it hard as rock and go on all slopes except the steepest. I don't have the mountains like u Maya n WPA. So we know there not to many cows running around your steep mountains. Where my cows haven't been is my best ground n I'm find some good areas to grow my Shang.
Around my area there is alot of clear cutting due to Fort Drum they chip everything to help fuel drum n create energy they need . which leaves complete open exposure in great ground but even here after the lovely berry bushes start getting thick Shang starts to reappear.

I never thought of the ground packing because of cows, I always thought where it packs down in one place it pushes up around the track but I guess I can see how the net result is some compaction, and over the years that can add up. I would have thought the manure would have made up for this downside but maybe that also has something in it sang doesn't like ?!

Re:Finding sang in the 7 years 8 months ago #38813

the amount of land that was cleared for farming,from the 1939 aerial photos available on the penn pilot website just blows my mind. Just because it \"green\" now on the topo map certainly doesn't mean it always was by no means. There's a lot of bones laying in graves right now that I bet would show incredible and painful wear on them. And that amount of farmland in 1939 isn't even the height of the cleared land, I was told once that the highest amount of cleared land reached it's peak around the Civil war, that sounds a little early to me I would guess it was between 1890 and 1910

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 242 guests and no members online

Login