2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: dormant plants

dormant plants 13 years 7 months ago #5263

I was in northern Wisconsin on my land the past two weeks and looking over the plants. Had the land for over 20 years and thought I knew where a lot of the Ginseng was growing. After a couple of years of almost unlimited doe hunting, Ginseng was popping up all over, which left the impression the deer ate a LOT of the plants. I found a four pronger last year and put a fence around it, as it was 10 feet off the trail and I had never seen it before. This year it never grew. Thinking it had rotted or someone pilfered it, I dug in the spot and there it was. In my neck of the woods the diggers think it does not grow every year, but I think it can go for a few years being dormant. Sandier soil seems to help this process. Any comments?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:dormant plants 13 years 7 months ago #5265

I think some roots lay dormant for more than a year at a time. There is a holler close to home I dig reguarly and one year there was big 4 prongs everywhere. theres no doubt they had been sleeping for a few years as I was in that holler every fall for several years and only found a few plants each year.I guess that is natures way of keeping it from getting dug out.

Re:dormant plants 13 years 7 months ago #5266

I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about that.
I am not sure about lying dormant. But I do know there are alot of things that can cause tops to fall early. Stepped on by a critter, fallen branches, or even munched on by insects, rodents, browsers, etc.. Not only in the late summer and fall, but as they are coming up in the spring.

Re:dormant plants 13 years 7 months ago #5269

My grandfather, who planted countless patches of seng, told me that he had some patches that were dormant anywhere from 7-9 years. . .on a side note, my grandfather was always secretive about where he planted/dug. I wish I knew one fourth of the places he planted/dug during his life.

Re:dormant plants 13 years 7 months ago #5270

It can definately lay dormant for several years at a time. I know a guy who had transplanted 4 roots from mature plants out beside his barn. He has told me that they sometimes lay dormant for several years some years only one or two sprout a top. since he has transplanted them (about ten years ago) only twice have they all appeared. I know deer like them, but really don't know how much impact they have. We have a LOT of deer around here and sometimes a lot of seng comes up, and sometimes not nearly as much. I know this because I almost always get out early in the spring to check out a few areas that I dig in. I also don't know how much soil conditions play a role in plants laying dormant. I have seen them fail to sprout a top in different types of soil including hard clay which we have a lot of around here.

Re:dormant plants 13 years 7 months ago #5283

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
borrowed time wrote:

I was in northern Wisconsin on my land the past two weeks and looking over the plants. Had the land for over 20 years and thought I knew where a lot of the Ginseng was growing. After a couple of years of almost unlimited doe hunting, Ginseng was popping up all over, which left the impression the deer ate a LOT of the plants. I found a four pronger last year and put a fence around it, as it was 10 feet off the trail and I had never seen it before. This year it never grew. Thinking it had rotted or someone pilfered it, I dug in the spot and there it was. In my neck of the woods the diggers think it does not grow every year, but I think it can go for a few years being dormant. Sandier soil seems to help this process. Any comments?

I agree wit you on this,I to have seen a plant lay dorment more than one year,yes sir.

Re:dormant plants 13 years 7 months ago #5292

It can depend on what time of year you are looking as well. On my property there are countless three-prongs in May, but by the end of june/mid july 80% + have been browsed off by deer. By this time of year there was probably only 10 left up.

Re:dormant plants 13 years 7 months ago #5297

You got too many deer, you need some thinnin' out.

Re:dormant plants 13 years 7 months ago #5318

SHROOMY has the right idea,I think.

Guy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Who's Online

We have 409 guests and no members online

Login