2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nice root found this year

Re:Nice root found this year 13 years 5 months ago #7915

• kman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • looking for 1/2 lb dry wild sang
That certainly looks potent.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Nice root found this year 13 years 5 months ago #7916

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Latt that is very nice seng I like the picture of the patch as well sounds like a good place to plant all those wild seeds from that patch to me :)

Re:Nice root found this year 13 years 5 months ago #7917

Thanks Billy,
Yea the soil, and woods are really good. I did go back in the fall and took the ripe berries off and planted them. The guy who owns the land lets me mushroom hunt in there all year round. I do not think he knows there is ginseng in there and that's why I did not dig it. I am sure he would let me dig it if I asked but I do not want anyone to know it's in there. I am sure the word would get out and it wouldn't last long in there. I might approach him and ask if I can plant some sang seeds in there and split the profits with him in 10 years as long as he would keep it quite.
On my other new planting site:
I got my soil sample back and it is good and bad. The Calcium came back at 6910 lbs per acre. Organic matter was at 9.4. But the PH level was 6.9 which ain't good. The soil is dark and loamy but I know the PH is on the high end of whats acceptable. I know 5.5 is perfect so I am really concerned. I planted 3 lbs of seed in that woods and I could plant up to 5 acres in there. Its a nice eastern facing ridge 100 foot tall with a 15 % grade and 80% canopy. What your thoughts Billy or anyone on me planting more in there. Everything is perfect except the PH level. I would spend a fortune buying gypsum to bring the PH level down. How much gypsum would I need per ginseng bed if I am planting 1 pound of seed per 1600 square foot to bring down the PH level to 5.5 ?
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Nice root found this year 13 years 5 months ago #7921

Latt,
Elemental sulpher will bring the ph down. A feed store or it's equivelent should be able to order you some if they don't have it in stock. A 50 lb bag shouldn't run ya more than 30 or 40 bucks and will bring 1600 ft to a depth of around six inches down to 5.5 or maybe just a tenth or two higher. Pelletized form is the handiest because it can be used in a hand cranked seed spreader, it also comes in a wettable powder than can be sprayed on but you must keep up the agitation of your mixture while applying or you can hand cast it.... which isn't recomended due to it's hard to get even coverage this way and the powder is ultra fine. The powder will get all over you and your clothes and you will smell like sulpher for days ( not a good thing ). I did this a few years back and the shirt to this day has a faint sulpher smell to it when I put it on. Good Luck

Hillhopper

Re:Nice root found this year 13 years 5 months ago #7925

Hillhopper,
So there's another $30 bucks a pound I need to factor in. Still not to bad considering the benefits of having the soil at the right PH. I am sure the roots will get bigger and that 30 bucks will be well spent. I really appreciate the information Hillhopper!!!
Hey what did you think on the calcium level, 6929 lbs per acre is pretty good.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Nice root found this year 13 years 5 months ago #7926

Hillhopper,
I meant to ask how long will the Elemental sulpher last once it is applied? Is this something that will wear off or was out and needs to be reapplied now and then?
If so how often?
Thanks,
Latt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds

Who's Online

We have 259 guests and no members online

Login