Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A newcomer to ginseng

A newcomer to ginseng 12 years 7 months ago #12796

• Robinsonjn
  • Robinsonjn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi my name is Jacob. My grandfather and I are looking to plant wild simulated ginseng in Spartanburg County South Carolina. He owns a farm with plenty of forest. Our goal is to make some money at growing ginseng but him and I have hardly any knowledge except what we have read on the internet. This post may be long because I have so many questions but any responses would help. Let me tell you what I do know (or think I know) and then I'll ask my questions. I know it needs to be in the woods where the meets some qualifications. It should be on a north facing hill. It takes 6 years from seed for plants to be at a place where they can be sold. Once again thanks for any responses to the any of the questions below!!! I'm excited to get started!!!

Can the leaves and berries be sold?

How much money does one make on an acre of mature 6 year old plants?

Who do you sell the roots to?

In the starting stages should we buy the 3 year old roots and plant them or should we just buy seeds.

Can you make any money off planting 3 year old roots and harvesting them a couple years later?

Is it best to scatter seeds randomly or plant them in cultivated rows in the forest?

When should we plant?

Will there still be a market for ginseng when my plants mature?

Should I till the land?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A newcomer to ginseng 12 years 7 months ago #12805

You need to buy Scott Persons book on Growing Ginseng and other herbs. Not for sure about the name but you can do a search for it on the internet and find it.

It will answer all of your questions that you have from the growing end till the drying end. I have one and it has helped me tremendously.

But good luck with the planting.

Re:A newcomer to ginseng 12 years 7 months ago #12835

Robinsonjn

Like Hillhopper suggested. Get a copy of Scott Persons Ginseng book. It will answer alot of your questions.

Make sure to get the new and revised copy, not the old version.

Here a link to buy Scott's new book.

www.amazon.com/Growing-Marketing-Goldens...cinals/dp/0914875426

Best wishes!

classicfur

Re:A newcomer to ginseng 12 years 7 months ago #12847

Best bet is to read about it in the book mentioned. I am a ginseng hunter, not grower, but I can answer a few questions.

I've never heard of selling the leaves. The berries would be best used by replanting them in the area near the plant you dug.

I would say 6 year old plants are the minimum age to dig. You will not get very expensive roots if you dig them so young. The older they are, the better and the more money they are worth.

There are ginseng dealers you can sell dried roots to. Many are listed right on this website.

It is fine to plant during late summer, when the berries are naturally falling of the plants anyways. If you have stratified seeds, there are instructions on this website that can tell you about when and where to plant.

There will always be a market for ginseng.

Re:A newcomer to ginseng 12 years 7 months ago #12851

Welcome to the forum!

Many, many of the answers you are seeking are to be found in the afore-mentioned book, as well as this forum. There's a search mechanism near the top of the page, I have used it many times prior to posing a question... I try this as I figure that someone has likely asked and answered my question already!

That having been said, the guys here seem to be incredibly helpful and forthright. I've noticed that I'm probally the most sarcastic here, however some might debate that! Anyway, I'm quick with a joke, and sometimes have to explain myself.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

Who's Online

We have 69 guests and no members online

Login