2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is this ginseng?

Is this ginseng? 12 years 7 months ago #12875

I stumbled across these two plants the small leaves are missing and there is a place where berries fell off or were about to grow! this is a step up from all the hickory I have been digging lol
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Is this ginseng? 12 years 7 months ago #12877

You have 2- young three prong ginseng plants. They were probably two prongs last year.
The size of roots would be questionable even though they would be legal here in KY.
But then again there are always exceptions. The plants maybe a lot older than they appear in the photos.

rootman

Re:Is this ginseng? 12 years 7 months ago #12891

I agree with rootman there.

Looks like young 3 prongs - probably first year they had 3 prongs (2 prongers last year).

As a general rule, even though 3 prongs are legal to dig here in TN, I like to leave any that don't have all 5 leaflets on each prong (for digging a couple years later).

I only hunt my spots every other year, and if I had found small 3's like that, I would leave em and come back in 2 years and they would likely be big enough by then to be worth digging.

You definately have found seng though.

Good Luck at finding more and larger more mature plants !

TNhunter

Re:Is this ginseng? 12 years 7 months ago #12898

thanks guys, These were the first two

i have ever seen in my life even though they are small I am tickled pink I was able to finally say I found some. I found these two right as I stepped through the fence gate and wasnt sure till I dug em up and then still wasnt sure. lol I went back today to see if I could find bigger ones in this location but with the two dogs I had with me It was like looking around a moving bulldozer! The place I found them is were I kinda had thoughts about planting some seeds or rootlings. now that I know there is some there im planning on buying a pound of seeds. thanks again for the the info

Re:Is this ginseng? 12 years 7 months ago #12945

now your hooked, welcome to your new addiction!!! ......... it only gets easier now, one day you wont even have to be looking for it to spot it, its like you got some kinda radar or somethin

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 71 guests and no members online

Login