* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How deep to replant?

How deep to replant? 12 years 6 months ago #14083

Hello all,

I went out for the last time today and dug some very nice 4 prong plants that I had missed the first time through the woods. I have decided to plant 6 of them in my newly constructed ginseng box but don't know how deep to put them. Should I put them as deep as where their bud was located in the wild? Some of the buds were 8 inches deep and all were at least 6 inches deep. I have read that I should put the bud 1 inch below the soil surface but this would be around 5 to 7 inches shallower than they were growing in nature.
Please advise, thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How deep to replant? 12 years 6 months ago #14090

I will tell you to plant them with the buds around two inches deep. This allows for some settling of the soil around the root and still be below the surface. At times, I'll plant as much as three inches under the surface.

Re:How deep to replant? 12 years 6 months ago #14096

Be aware of the drainage if your constructed bed is at your house. If its anything close to level and you add really good dirt and compost it can rot if planted too deep. I made that mistake a couple years ago. I made it ideal but in doing so the root should have been a bit more shallow.

Hillhopper

Re:How deep to replant? 12 years 6 months ago #14098

The ginseng box is actually the kids old 5x5 2x10 sandbox under a maple tree in the backyard. The sand has been slung everywhere over the years. but enough has sunk down into the ground to make the soil sandy down to about 6 inches. It is a crimson king and I have left the lower branches so it is very shady underneath. Hosta grow very well in its shadows so I am assuming ginseng will as well. Since the soil is sandy and will settle, I think I will put the buds about 3 inches deep and mulch a couple on top of that.
Thanks

Re:How deep to replant? 12 years 6 months ago #14109

Redemption,

I put 44 wild roots in a prepaired raised bed last fall and this spring 42 of them sent up tops.

Hope the other 2 that did not, will sent up a top this next spring.

I planted them all about the same - with top of the root neck (bud spur) about 2\" below the top soil surface.

I put about 1\" of really soft composted pete on top of that (which no doubt compacted down some over winter) and then on top of that I put about a 4\" layer of sugar maple leaves.

Here is what they looked like on June 24 this year.

I think on your nice 4 prongs - then 2-3 or even 4\" deep would be OK (considering you have mostly soft top soil, composted leaf layer type stuff on top).

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:How deep to replant? 12 years 6 months ago #14137

Tnhunter, I would say that's about right and that depth may help about protecting the buds from being eaten.

rootman

Re:How deep to replant? 12 years 6 months ago #14154

Thank you for the replies guys. That sure is a good looking bed TN_hunter. I bet you get enough seed in the next few years to plant an entire hillside! I planted as was suggested, 2-3 inches deep for the buds and as soon as the maples in my yard lose their leaves, I will mulch them up and add a few inches of this material. I also planted some stratified seed in the bed with the old roots so hopefully they will learn how to grow from their elders.:)

Re:How deep to replant? 12 years 6 months ago #14155

dupe:blush:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 473 guests and no members online

Login