2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: There are 6 major species of Ginseng

There are 6 major species of Ginseng 12 years 5 months ago #15664

We all talk about Panax Quinquelfolium or American Ginseng and then Panax Ginseng known as Asian Ginseng.

But there are 3 other ginseng species. Panax Trifolium, Panax Pseudoginseng and Panax Japonicum. You can google pics of these beautiful plants. I do not consider the 6 one (Siberian Ginseng ) a true ginseng. So there are actually 5 in my opinion.
Latt

Six major species of ginseng are:

1. Panax Quinquefolium - American ginseng found in North America, cultivated mainly in Wisconsin and is the world?s premium and most potent Ginseng higher in ginsenosides (sometimes spelled ginsenocide) that is believed to increase stamina, improve mental sharpness, fight fatigue, increase oxygenation, and cope with physical stress. This is the source of Hsu's which is the best American Ginseng. The term 'Panax' is a combination of two Greek words; pan or 'all' and akos or 'cure' or fully translated to 'cure all'.

2. Panax Ginseng - Korean ginseng, Asian or Chinese ginseng is cultivated in Korea, Manchuria and China. This ginseng product is considered fair to good by Cornermark.

3. Panax Trifolium - Also called Dwarf Ginseng and Ground Nut, this was harvested by Indians and settlers for food at one time. It is much smaller than Panax Quinquefolium American Ginseng. This is considered fair to poor.

4. Panax Pseudoginseng - Also called Himalayan Ginseng, Panax Notoginseng or Tien Chi Ginseng. Pseudoginseng is found in Korea, China, and Japan is consumed for the liver and stomach in Chinese medicine. Cornermark considers this to be a fair to good ginseng.

5. Panax Japonicum found in Japan and called Japanese ginseng. It is marginal to good.

6. Siberian Ginseng - Eleutherococcus Senticosus does not contains ginsenosides as does Panax varieties and has an active substance called eleutheroside which is believed to faux ginseng.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds

Who's Online

We have 280 guests and no members online

Login