TOPIC: re: Latt's thread on \"thoughts\"

re: Latt's thread on \"thoughts\" 12 years 5 months ago #15878

• BFB
  • BFB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • North Central, WV
Hillhopper,

For the most part, the similarities I see are at the trapper/local buyer end. It is very similar to the 'seng digger/local buyer. In fact, (at least around here) most buyers trade in both fur and root commodities. Also, grading is applied to both products, and that has an effect on the whole of a local market.

Over the years in trapping, I learned by observing local markets, and talking with other trappers, that the whole of the market could be enhanced by delivering a quality product. ie: Releasing small or totally unprime catches. (A good example would be a young of the year female bobcat.) Also careful fur handling added value. ... It is much the same with 'seng. I try to keep a pound right around 200 roots, (excepting small roots with long necks) and I try very hard to handle them properly. ... The whole point of all of that is to elevate the local market.

I cannot pretend to understand commerce, and international import/export laws and regulations, but the previously mentioned nose to nose funnel analogy is an excellent description of where the major profit margins occur. (Somewhere in the major exporter / Chinese closed auction phase).

I really don't know how we could get around that, other than doing something like Kduce suggested as to bringing an American market into play. I think that that would definitely rattle some chains ... lol.

In similarity, it is practically the same with North American fur, and oddly enough, China is usually the largest consumer of American/Canadian furs. ... Over the years, I believe Russia runs a close second.

One big difference is that ginseng is far more consistant in Chinese demand, than is fur.

Going back to ginseng per-se, I honestly don't have any better suggestions as to what we as individual diggers can do other than delivering the very best quality root that we can. This simply means careful and selective digging coupled with top notch handling.

Just for the record, I am a small time digger, and a new beginner grower. (essentially a hobbyist) Still in all, I always do want to see all of us get a fair shake for our efforts.

I hope this sheds some light on your question. If you were going somewhere more specific, please ask.

Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds

Who's Online

We have 148 guests and no members online

Login