2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mechanical planting and harvesting of American Ginseng

Mechanical planting and harvesting of American Ginseng 12 years 2 months ago #16698

• PaGinseng
  • PaGinseng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • no farms no food & without trucks America stops
I like organic woods grown ginseng the best, but Im experimenting with field cultivated artificial shade grown. Im wondering if there is a mechanical planter and harvester that will work for American Ginseng. I was thinking maybe a row crop planter such as a corn planter but I think it will sow the seed to deep. Maybe a food plot planter?? For harvesting maybe a potatoe harvester?? Any ideas or experiences let me know, thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Mechanical planting and harvesting of American Ginseng 12 years 2 months ago #16699

Most of the commercial operations I'm aware of use pneumatic seeders and use modified potato diggers.

Jang makes some very versitile seeders on the order of the Earthway garden seeder which can be ganged up behind a tractor http://www.mechanicaltransplanter.com/seeder.html

The only problem is they apparently cannot account for a crown which is so typical of commercial operations.

Re:Mechanical planting and harvesting of American Ginseng 12 years 2 months ago #16729

• PaGinseng
  • PaGinseng's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • no farms no food & without trucks America stops
Thank you so much for your response, since I am fairly new at Ginseng growing canyou please specify what you mean by a \"crown\". Thanks again

Re:Mechanical planting and harvesting of American Ginseng 12 years 2 months ago #16737

When planting cultivated, the growers prepare the beds about four feet across and two feed high rounded. That is a crown. I'll post a picture or two if I get a chance later to give you a good idea of what is going on. I also have some pictures of the seeder.

Re:Mechanical planting and harvesting of American Ginseng 12 years 2 months ago #16738

Here are some pictures of a commercial operation being prepared. They plowed and disc, then set posts the day before. That morning, they disced again to smooth things out.

This is the bed plow, you can see that it takes about a foot of dirt from the furrows and moves it up to the top of the beds making the crown.

Next, they run a groomer over the beds to even them out and firm the soil slightly.

After grooming, its time for seed

The guys are walking behind and ensuring that the planter nozzles don't become plugged. After seeding, they spray a fungicide to protect the seeds in the ground and then cover everything with straw.

And, if all goes well, this is what they will look like in a couple years...

The crowns are mostly to allow for a furrow that excess water can get into and run away from the ginseng roots. Everywhere you find standing -or just too much- water, you find disease in a commercial operation.

Re:Mechanical planting and harvesting of American Ginseng 12 years 2 months ago #16760

BCastle- Is that part of your operation in the photos?

Re:Mechanical planting and harvesting of American Ginseng 12 years 2 months ago #16764

Heavens no! 8)

I don't remember who's farm that was, but some friends were seeding for them, and they invited me to take some pictures.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Who's Online

We have 283 guests and no members online

Login