2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: stratified seed

stratified seed 11 years 6 months ago #20631

im kinda new to planting.we had some established plants ,that were stolen.we recently purchased new seed. we were wundering how long that stratified seed is good for , as far as planting. ( shelf life)
thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:stratified seed 11 years 6 months ago #20633

eidigger,
I believe that most members on here will agree that if conditions are favorable ie.good soil moisture, tools and time are available, that you should probably get them in the ground before the leaves fall. If your ground is still very dry, you might want to store them properly and wait until it rains some. Be sure that you don't place the seeds where the temperature gets close to freezing. You'll have a problem with germination if you do.
If you live very far North, consider freezing ground as well. I hope some others will chime in and you are able to get this right. If you have a failure, it's very frustrating
Good luck with them.
Hugh

Re:stratified seed 11 years 6 months ago #20650

thanks for the in put. unfortunetly it dry, and the leaves are falling hard, thats why i was asking about how long the stratified seed would be good (shelf life)?
thanks for any input
kevin

Re:stratified seed 11 years 6 months ago #20651

eidigger,
Since you're saying it's dry, I would recommend that you take a small piece of paper towel and wet it. Squeeze most of the moisture out of it and place it in the seeds down amongst them. Place the bag of seeds in the coolest place in the house and if it is sometime before it rains enough to wet the ground good, repeat the wetting of the paper towel so that it does not become dry. No excess moisture is needed in the seeds. If you are not familiar with planting techniques,go to \"search' on this forum and look for TNHunter's videos of Rake and Scatter and Hankins Method of planting. Either method will show you how to get those seeds down deep enough in the ground to cause good germination this coming Spring.
Hugh

Re:stratified seed 11 years 6 months ago #20656

thanks a lot any input is apreicated. we have #2 of seed on the way, and i feel under the gun to get it in the ground without messing up!
thanks
kevin
PS- IS THERE A PLACE ON THIS FORUM WERE WE CAN P.M.(personal message)ANOTHER MEMBER? re; questions

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 383 guests and no members online

Login