2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders will be accepted on May 1st for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie asks if this plant is "dwarf" ginseng, or "American?"

Newbie asks if this plant is "dwarf" ginseng, or "American?" 10 years 2 weeks ago #28019

Hello everyone. I just caught the bug for \"hiking the hills and the forest floor\" after Thanksgiving (2013). I am such a newbie at this point that I can't tell whether this plant is dwarf ginseng, or American ginseng. If the poor camera (phone) quality of this photo doesn't prevent identification, please chime in and solve this quandary for me. I can provide a \"stem\" view, as well, if needed.

Please accept my gratitude for the time you have all invested in this forum, YouTube videos, websites, and blogs about forest plants! I really enjoy my new hobby!

Here is my first \"find\" (Sunday 2014-04-13) :

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Newbie asks if this plant is \"dwarf\" ginseng, or \"American?\" 10 years 2 weeks ago #28020

welcome hillside,
Yep its American ginseng, not dwarf.
what state are you in?

Re:Newbie asks if this plant is \"dwarf\" ginseng, or \"American?\" 10 years 2 weeks ago #28021

Thanks K_duce!

I am in Middle Tennessee.

Hillside.

Re:Newbie asks if this plant is "dwarf" ginseng, or "American?" 10 years 2 weeks ago #28022

Nice find for a newbie and a three prong at that! I am worried that the frost Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and possibly again Wednesday night/Thursday morning could have an adverse effect on any Ginseng that is up now and especially the flowering/seeding plants. It could make for a meager harvest this year. It could be even worse for our fellow diggers and growers up North, as there Ginseng season could be wiped out. I sure hope not!

Frank

Re:Newbie asks if this plant is \"dwarf\" ginseng, or \"American?\" 10 years 2 weeks ago #28024

Thank you huntsman53! I look forward to being part of the Wildgrown community.

Best wishes to all with the incoming weather. I hope the hard freeze passes to the north of the natural ginseng range.

Hillside

Re:Newbie asks if this plant is \"dwarf\" ginseng, or \"American?\" 10 years 2 weeks ago #28038

Welcome to the forum, Hillside!

Re:Newbie asks if this plant is \"dwarf\" ginseng, or \"American?\" 10 years 2 weeks ago #28048

Thank you Whitjr. I appreciate your welcome note! I am enjoying learning from your experience.

Hillside

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 172 guests and no members online

Login