2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Counties in North Carolina

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29037

Excellent, I'll check them out. Another question. Do the mountain natives look down upon people like myself trying to move there and startup? I'm really trying to study everything before I make a commitment. Selling our farm and landscape buisness here is very risky. I would hate to have surrounding flok dis like us. We are very hard working, family oriented, non-mainstream Americans if that makes any sense. We are looking to go to a place with like minded folks. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29042

I think that would depend on your attitude toward us locals. I have lived in Mitchell County for all my life. 40 years I have seen folks come and go some are successful in their endeavors some just pack it up and quit. One big aspect is having the community like you ,but don't let them run over you.If you are friendly and fair most locals will welcome you in. We have the same problems anywhere else in the country has when it comes to dope heads and thieves. I have a friend that moved to nyc a few years back and he prefers the way folks up their are. He said they would stab you in the face where folks down here will stab you in the back. I have several neighbors from Florida and I have a good relationship with all of them but 2. Its not because I haven't tried.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29061

Great advice, thank you. The same way it is here. Great people I've met from up north and some are complete arogant fools. So in other words, be polite, respectful, but hold your own. I guess there are good and bad no matter where you go. In all walks of life. I guess if you've lived up there all your life, I'm sure you have seen a lot come and go. Same here in Florida. Failure has never been an option with my wife and I. We've always made it no matter what. This time is different because when we sell out, there is no turning back. It's all or nothing.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29092

I dont want to discourage you ,But be smart don't put all your eggs in one basket. I started planting 1 or 2 pounds of seed a year of ginseng 20 years ago. My plan was to send my son off to school.Well That never happened.to make a long story short. Now i am hoping that I will be able to clean my patch out this fall and use the money to invest in something for retirement.I will admit I should have invested more time and care into it but I just love the hobby and I kinda gave up on making lots of money on it. They is just to many things that can and will go wrong.I would look for land that I could use for other purposes if things go sour. Good luck

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29093

I dont want to discourage you ,But be smart don't put all your eggs in one basket. I started planting 1 or 2 pounds of seed a year of ginseng 20 years ago. My plan was to send my son off to school.Well That never happened.to make a long story short. Now i am hoping that I will be able to clean my patch out this fall and use the money to invest in something for retirement.I will admit I should have invested more time and care into it but I just love the hobby and I kinda gave up on making lots of money on it. They is just to many things that can and will go wrong.I would look for land that I could use for other purposes if things go sour. Good luck

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29097

Yeah, I know. That is what scares me. My wife would like to start her farm up there just like we have here currently. I know there are a lot of farms up in Madison county area. Greenhouse, beds, the whole nine yards. It's scary to us because zone 9 USDA is all we know. Not zone 7 up there. She has in mind goldenseal, veg, herbs, blood root etc. If you don't mind me asking, did things go sour for you?

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29104

Well kind of. I have about 7 acres of good habitat. Had sane growing wild on lots of it. I have hunted since I was young but never know ed they was sane on my own property. My grandpa kept cows pastured on the land for years and we never thought to look for any sane.So when I discovered it I decided to start growing it.I started with a pound of seed that fall my goal was to plant every year and let nature take its coarse.By the third or fourth year year I would have my own seed and could keep planting. After the first three years I had plants that were still two prongs and were not producing any seed.Very few seeds would make it to maturity thanks to deer and other varmits.I planted goldenseal in my larger patches to help with diseases that destroy sane. I highly recommend that seemed to help a lot. As time went by I still can not produce a pound of seed. The beds I have that produce seed have been fertilized lightly to help and have goldenseal planted among them. The goldenseal has reproduced greatly over the years.I have ran upon some hard times and had to dig some of my mature plants to make ends meet over the years but have never sold over $3000 in one season. Usually around $1500. Like I said I let nature take its course and never sprayed anything on them. I can show you 10 year old roots about half the size of a cigarette. As far as bloodroot and kohosh. the woods are full of it and I dont know of anyone making a living from digging it.I all ways figured that anyone would have to dig anything that sells to make a go of it.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29105

Damn, sorry to hear thats the way it went for you. We also have 2 children, so if we fail, we take them down with us. 7 acres should have been more than enough land to make a good living. Was the soil requirments off? Our main reason for wanting to try a new adventure is for a different kind of life. We are burnt out here in Florida with our life style. we are working our lives away which feels like for nothing. The cost of living here in central Florida is also high. Due to retirement. Thanks for your comments and time.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29458

Madison County is a good area for finding and growing Ginseng keeping in mind that North facing slopes are the best. However, don't discount some of the Northeasterly, Easterly and Southerly facing slopes if there is enough blockage of too much sunshine and/or there is a water source and/or there is sufficient moisture retained in the soil and Ginseng's companion plants flourish there. Also, no need to grow Black Cohosh or Bloodroot as it should be abundant in most areas with decent amounts of trees for a good canopy and even in some areas where there isn't. You can't make a lot off of either but you could probably fill a pickup bed every day with Black Cohosh from the mountains for a month or more and still not make a dent in it's population. Yeah, it grows that abundant and thick! If you want to grow anything other than Ginseng, then I would advise to grow Goldenseal (Yellow Root) and if you can, Star Grub Root (False Unicorn) but there are other profitable herbs that you can grow as well or harvest in the wild. One other thing is, that Ginseng will grow in some of the lowest elevations you could imagine and some the highest elevations, at least in the Appalachians that you could imagine. I have found and dug Ginseng growing on wooded hills sloping down to lakes and rivers and in wooded lots in subdivisions both with very low elevations and have also found and dug Ginseng growing close to the 5,000 foot level in the mountains of Sevier and Cocke Counties in Tennessee.

One thing to keep in mind when trying to get along with the locals is, to be friendly to everyone you meet, even the old curmudgeons when you can and you will surely encounter some of them. Be helpful to those that want your help and steer away from those that don't until they get to know you, that is, if they are willing. Steer clear of any bad folks (drug addicts, sellers, growers and producers as well as the ones you know or have been told are thiefs and/or downright criminals) and their' property. Try to make friends with as many folks near you as they can be your' safety net. Have coffee or a beer with them if you drink these at their' place and if you feel that they can be trusted, offer the same to them at your' place. Sit around and talk about life, the mountains and other topics but it is sometimes best to stay away from religion and politics (but that holds true most any place you could live). Many mountain folk are lonely and want interaction but the longer they do not have any interaction with other folks, they become leary of it and of someone's intentions. Take it slow and let the one's that are leary of interaction, work at their own pace to get to know you. Never tell anyone that you are growing Ginseng unless you can totally trust them and it would be best if they are growing Ginseng as well, so in that way, you both can help keep a watch out for poachers as you both have a stake in keeping your' Ginseng crops.

Good luck on your endeavors!

Frank

P.S. If you do move to Madison County in North Carolina, you will be in an area as well as close to many other areas where you can find Gems and sometimes even Gold. It is just a thought but with enough research, the right equipment and no fear of hard work, Gem and sometimes Gold prospecting can be profitable as well as enjoyable.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29461

Thanks Huntsman. Sounds logical to me. If we take this adventure, we've discussed that nobody could ever know about growing ginseng. We would get raided in a week. I guess the problems of theives and drug addicts are everywhere you go. Hard work to us (physical labor) is the easy part! Both of us been doing it for years. Finding the right piece of land however, is the hardest part. I'm making a trip in 3 more weeks. Failure is not an option on doing this for my family. Not that we have a bad life now, building an enjoyable and happy one is my goal. Thank you for your responses.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 305 guests and no members online

Login