2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Counties in North Carolina

Counties in North Carolina 9 years 10 months ago #28966

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and trying to learn. Does anyone know of good counties in western North Carolina that has proper topography to grow wild simulated ginseng? I've looked on the web but didn't find much. Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 10 months ago #28969

One of the things that will assist you determining which area you want to plant in is where you live now. I would recommend living nearby, since managing th security once your plantings are up is a chief concern.

I live in NC.

The. Mountains of NC are supposed to be some of the best areas in the true south to grow 'sang in. From the northern part of the state, thru to the southern mountains of the state are all great to grow in. Look,up \"North Carolina Escarpment\" for and idea about this.

Having said all that, the entire Applacian mountain range is supposedly the best area to grow in, worldwide. But back to your question.

Another example of this is that NC root is bought/sold typically for more than Tenn. root. I am not saying this is fair at all; I have seen Tenn. root that are absolutely beautiful. However I have seen the pricing for the last several years, and have also heard of folks that bring their root from adjoining states to NC to sell for the higher prices they can get. I'm not saying that is right either, however it is an observable thing. There are laws about this on the books here in NC that inhibit the selling of out-of-state root here in-state. however enforcement is difficult. I do not recommend or sanction in any way the harvest of out-of-state root to be sold in another state.

Welcome to this forum!

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 10 months ago #28973

Thank you for your advice. We currently live in Florida. Been trying to move there for over a decade. Money was the problem. We are wanting to sell our buisness's (organic farm and landscaping)and property to go. Macon county, maybe Haywood. Any suggestions? I will do some research on the information you gave me. From the research I've done, theft is a serious problem. Is that correct? Even on private lands? Thanks again.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 10 months ago #28977

Security is an issue for planted crops such as ours. Really.

Good luck in your move! Please keep in mind that this crop is not a quick thing. 8 to 10 years after planting is best to plan on.....

There has been a decrease in land values since the crash of '08. I don't have a valuable opinion on the two countries you mentioned. I'm working in wataga county. From what I see in the land-for-sale magazines, there's plenty of mountain land available. Please remember that a north facing slope is optimal.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 10 months ago #28980

I'm figuring 4 to five with stratified seed, and seedlings to start. What is your take on a North East facing slope with the companion plants such as ferns, walnut trees etc.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 10 months ago #28984

There is one county in particular that not a lot of people would think about or consider But I have seen it grow the most rampant there than anywhere. Its amazing to see the patches there. Sorry I'm not giving specifics but I might upset someone there by making it known to the unknowing public. If that makes any sense.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 10 months ago #28988

Makes perfect sense. Keeping it under wraps is the best policy. I've seen whats happened to FL, so I truly respect that.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29028

Areas of the brushy mountains are good around Wilkes and Alexander. Then anything west from there Wilkes, Avery, Mitchell, Madison, Buncombe, Burke, McDowell, Haywood, Jackson, Macon, Graham, Clay, Cherokee County, East Polk, Some of Rutherford and Henderson, Transylvania. Ashe, Alleghany, Surry, Stokes and Caldwell are tough ones for me. I stay out of Swain just because and I'm sure its in Caldwell I just can't find it.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29032

Thank you for the information. You didn't have to say anything. I truly respect and understand you guys love your land there in the carolina's. We are looking at property in Madison County. I'll be coming up 1st week in October to take a look. Is there a specific elevation that it does the best at? Or is the elevation not as much concern as the shade and companion plants. The property has North East slopes and around 3200 ft above sea level elevation at the peaks.

Re:Counties in North Carolina 9 years 9 months ago #29036

It all depends on the location. If the habitat is suitable it doesn't matter if its 1100 or 3800. Although if you are trying to control and care for it lower easier to tend to spot would be nicer. Billy Taylor and TNHunter have some videos on youtube to get you started. I highly recommend them.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Who's Online

We have 368 guests and no members online

Login