* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: what to do with old dry seeds?

what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29324

Hey guys
At my family reunion my great uncle gave me some seeds he found. I don't know how old they r I'm gonna plant them but was wondering if there is anything iI could do to maybe help them if there anygood? Thxs

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29331

Depending on how old they are and how dry they are, you might soak them overnight and see if any of them are worth trying to save.

Re:what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29332

You might try soaking them in willow water.

Re:what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29334

Sounds good into water they go I'll let ya know how it turns out thxs

Re:what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29337

Hobbler,
About 3yrs ago i was drying out some ginseng tops and found a few seed, I left them in a cup for almost a year, i then took them and put them in moist sand and stuck them in my refrig for about 2 months then i took them and planted them last fall inside the fence that i put around my false unicorn. Many of them came up this spring. I think that seed that dry out with the pulp still on them may be more apt to sprout. if you look at a ginseng berry that has dried out it looks like the berry skin may act like a protective skin with the ability to hold emough moisture inside to keep the seed viable. But i cant be certain. i have some pictures of the seed and the plants somewhere on my computer. ill post some later tomorrow.

Re:what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29342

Cool kduce
These still have pulp on them I'll try n split them up do half with out the sand n the other with to c if it makes a difference

Re:what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29343

I got the idea from Bcastle telling a story about leaving some seed in the back of his truck. I would also soak them in water as well.

Re:what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29344

Kduce
They in soaking now I didn't want them to wait any longer. Hope they turn out OK got about a hundred seeds tthat's a big waste if they don'tmake it n they help out my wild transplant beds b that much more.

Re:what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29395

Well soaked the seeds for 24 hrs n had about 25% sink so I took all out today n planted them out in a nice little spot hopefully I c some come up in a yr or two. This is where I planted them
Attachments:

Re:what to do with old dry seeds? 9 years 9 months ago #29399

Darn nice looking soil Hobbler.
Latt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 180 guests and no members online

Login