2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mountain Slopes

Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29366

Does seng have to have a north facing slope, or can it grow in other East, West or South facing slopes. Everything I've read says North. Is this true?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29367

It can grow on either if it has the right environment in place. I don't spend much time hunting ginseng on a southern or western slope though. My place also has a southern slope with some very OLD and TALL timber on it and some ginseng grows wild under them. When you get away from that area under normal size (say 18-24\") trees, it doesn't, too hot. To answer your question, yes, North and NE is the best.

Hillhopper

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29369

I must say first I am very new to seng, but I can tell you that I have found it on north,east, and south facing slopes.I have yet to find it on a west facing slope but as already said I do believe it would gro there if in the right conditions.

By request of Poster, this was added by Moderator:

sangosang wrote:
I should have mentioned my location last time too. Ok I am in middle tn also and while I have not found a lot of seng on a south facing hill I have found a very nice 3prong and a 2prong on a direct south facing hill it was at the bottom of the hill like tnhunter said tho only about 30 feet from the creek at the bottom. So since It has been found on a south facing hill anyways i would say that those northeastern ridges could support the ginseng. If it was me I'd definitely check:)

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29370

OK, makes sense. So when I hear North slopes, it's because those slopes normally have the right conditions. Such as the trees and companion plants, proper drainage, temperature. I guess when the earth tilts, the south facing slopes are warmer? Is this the right idea? Say for example, if a mountain was south facing, but had northeast facing ridges, would this be suitable habitat? Or because the mountain is perdominately facing south, generally not have the right conditions? Thanks for the emails and replies. I'm new to this, so I have a lot to learn.

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29387

I think it depends on where you are North/South wise as far as how limited the growth is to north facing hillsides. For example Main, vs Alabama.

Also the kind of light the location is getting (morning sun vs evening sun) makes a difference too.

Where I am at here in Southern Middle TN, you got almost no chance of finding seng on south or west facing hillsides.

Exception would be near the hollow bottom in deep hollows with heavy timber - you might find some now and then on south or west hillside right at the bottom edge of that hillside. Something I have noticed is when you do find one growing in a place like that it usually has a better than average root on it.

Almost all of the seng I find is on north to north-east facing hillsides and if it gets to pointing too far east (like due east) or even near that, no seng to be found.

In special situations like on bluffs... I have found it on hillsides facing due east (getting lots of morning sun, but no direct sun after noon).

But on regular woods hillsides as they start getting too far towards due east, the seng just does not live there.

Morning sun is cooler and seng can take a lot more of it and do well, evening sun is hot and too much for seng.

I know that up in Main seng does well on west and south facing hillsides, but now their high temps and evening sun does not get anywhere near what it does down here in the south.

TNhunter

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29391

OK, thanks TNHunter. I value your expierence and knowledge. Thank you for your time. I'm looking into the high country of NC. Around 3000 up to 4000 ft above sea level. With north east slopes, but a south facing mountain. Hopefully that makes sense. Would this habitat with the right conditions, support seng? Is there a specific size in trees that give a large enough canopy? The morning sun here in zone 9b makes all the difference in the world also. Afternoon sun is scorching here. Plants love the morning sun. Sounds like the same rules apply.

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29401

A hillside that faces north to north east should be ideal for seng.

South facing hillsides... (do not work here at all) but might in more northern states like New York - Main.

I would not think so in the Carolina's.

On the Timber...

Seng will grow in Deep Shade, Heavy Timber, but it is usually smaller size. You can have too much shade.

I often find the best LARGE seng growing in areas where you are on the edge of good timber stands, and then right next to it you have a section that has been clear cut, or heavily cut.

Often around here they will clear cut the ridge tops (and plant them back in pines), but leave good hardwood timber in the hollow bottoms.
Right along that edge, where the seng is getting a little more light than usual, it does really well, and gets BIG.

Especially in situations where the clearing is on the east side of the seng, giving it lots of morning sun, but limited evening sun.

If you have watched any of Billy's youtube videos (ginsenghunter1), he often mentions getting in there with the briars and high weeds to find the big seng.

Briars and weeds do not flourish in shade places, but in areas getting more sun.

It is sort of a fine line, because too much sun and no seng, too little sun and small seng, a little more sun than usual - especially morning sun and you get some big stout plants with large roots.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29403

A fine line indeed. Thanks TNH, I value your words. So, when I'm scouting a potential piece of land, I should go straight to the northeast slopes, is this correct? Also, just because wild seng is not there, if it's the right soil, drainage and canopy, it can be planted wild simulated right? I plan on sending the soil to NC Dep. of Ag.

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29453

Hillhopper and TNhunter have given you some really good information that you can use in hunting, digging and maybe even growing Ginseng, if you decide to do so! I will just add a few things and hopefully not take away from anything they said. The main reason that Ginseng doesn't usually grow on most South facing slopes which would also include most Southeast and Southwest facing slopes is as they stated due to too much sunlight but also due to these slopes generally being the dry sides of the mountains, ridges or hills. However, this is not always the case as has been somewhat stated already. It depends on the size, slope or steepness of a mountain or hill, the trees and amount of canopy and amount of moisture that is retained in the ground on these. If the surrounding mountains, ridges or hills are high enough and sometimes steep enough to block just enough sunshine off parts of other slopes and there is enough moisture retained in the ground, then Ginseng and it's companion plants will usually grow on these other slopes and may even grow in the bottoms of hollows and sometimes even low down on the mountain, hill or ridge of the one's providing the blocking of too much sunlight. By the same token, even without the higher and steeper mountains, ridges or hills to block some of the sunlight, if there is enough of a canopy and retained moisture as well on these slopes, Ginseng can and sometimes will grow on them and flourish. Another plus to Ginseng growing on these slopes, is if there is a constantly running spring, branch or stream in the hollows of these which supplies moisture to the plants and soil on their' ridge sides by way of evaporation, condensation and even fog. Therefore, if you happen to find some mountains, ridges or even hills that meet most or all of these conditions, it would be wise to not to discount them and venture into these locations for a look.

Frank

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29462

Mr. Frank, thank you for the reply. I will keep all info you told me in my mind when searching. I have a few places to see when I make a trip. i already have topography maps, and property layout maps of the slopes and terrain. I have my soil sampl boxes from Madison county Dept of Ag extension ready to go. I have thought this out so much, smoke is boiling out of my ears! I have conversations in my head everyday, all day thinking this out. I'm going up there now before winter sets in to get some ideas of the properties. But, just because there is no wild ginseng, doesn't mean it won't grow there? Wild simulated, is this true?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 792 guests and no members online

Login