* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mountain Slopes

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29466

garethNjessica wrote:

Mr. Frank, thank you for the reply. I will keep all info you told me in my mind when searching. I have a few places to see when I make a trip. i already have topography maps, and property layout maps of the slopes and terrain. I have my soil sampl boxes from Madison county Dept of Ag extension ready to go. I have thought this out so much, smoke is boiling out of my ears! I have conversations in my head everyday, all day thinking this out. I'm going up there now before winter sets in to get some ideas of the properties.

It sounds like you have a decent plan and now with most of the information you were looking for, you can hopefully put the plan into action.

garethNjessica wrote:

But, just because there is no wild ginseng, doesn't mean it won't grow there? Wild simulated, is this true?

Yes, even if no Ginseng is growing in some of the locations, it does not mean it will not grow there! The Ginseng may have been dug out long ago or even in recent years with the amount of poachers now hitting the woods or the Ginseng could have suffered a catastrophic event, say logging followed by a devastating fire or maybe a disease hit them all. If you go to locations that have most if not all of the conditions for Ginseng to grow and there is none but there are many companion plants, then one or more of the prior stated reasons may be the cause. To insure that it is not a disease that still lingers in the ground, see if that the soil samples can be tested for these besides the mineral contents. If disease is ruled out, then more than likely the Ginseng was dug out completely but you can't rule out the other reasons. If it is likely that it was dug out, this could work to your advantage as those that dug the Ginseng and any others that have scouted these locations, know for now that there is no Ginseng and you may be able to plant there without it ever being found and found out. It's a risk but one that you have to consider, so weigh all of the options and factors.

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29468

I never thought of that. Valid point. If we locate a piece of land, I'll need to go to the record office to check out the history of the land. When I send the samples off, i'll have the dpt of ag check for nematodes and diseases. I know this is a major risk. Everything is, especially if your looking to grow in life. We have a security plan in place once our plan goes into action. Thanks for the advice and tips. You guys on this site have given me wondeful advice with professionism. I value it very much. This is off the subject, but it seems there are a lot of fisherman on this site. I can't wait till I'm able to start fishing again. I've given up my life for work and can't find any time to fish.

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29587

I've always heard that the further north you travel, the less the \"north facing slope\" rule holds true. Here in northern PA, I find seng on any side of the mountain, or also quite frequently not an any side of the mountain. It seems every hill, ridge, slope, hollow, and mountain holds their own secrets.

Re:Mountain Slopes 9 years 9 months ago #29606

Mortis wrote:

I've always heard that the further north you travel, the less the \"north facing slope\" rule holds true. Here in northern PA, I find seng on any side of the mountain, or also quite frequently not an any side of the mountain. It seems every hill, ridge, slope, hollow, and mountain holds their own secrets.

Great point and one which us Southern boys often tend to not take into account when offering advice on slope orientation and shade to sunlight considerations! That is why it is so great to have so many knowledgeable members on this site that are willing to share of their' knowledge and experiences!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 617 guests and no members online

Login