2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Companion plants

Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29471

Does seng have to have the companion plants to survive? I'm new to growing, and plan on planting this fall, so I was wondering if seng would grow without the other plants.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29481

Loco Joe wrote:

Does seng have to have the companion plants to survive? I'm new to growing, and plan on planting this fall, so I was wondering if seng would grow without the other plants.

Not necessarily but by having the companion plants growing in an area, pretty much tells you that soil conditions (minerals, moisture and type of soil) and shade to sunlight conditions are pretty much correct for Ginseng to grow there.

Frank

Re:Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29483

Thanks for the response. I've got some ferns growing near by but not any of the others. I'm planing on taking some soil samples to see if I need to add anything to it.

Re:Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29506

I have to agree with Frank there. However, also consider that just because companion plants do not grow there for some reason doesn't mean they can't or that ginseng won't.

Re:Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29522

There has been Seng growing there years ago but sadly all was dug before. It is on some family land and someone dug it over the past years, so I'm hoping it will grow again just a little thicker with my help.

Re:Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29523

Loco Joe wrote:

There has been Seng growing there years ago but sadly all was dug before. It is on some family land and someone dug it over the past years, so I'm hoping it will grow again just a little thicker with my help.

Well, if it wasn't family members or someone with permission to dig the Ginseng on the family land, then you may have trouble with poachers and their companions in the future.

Frank

Re:Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29566

I also would like to hear if anyone thinks ginseng grows better next to certain plants. I am not talking about habitat. I mean the subtle effects that plants have on each other. This is no exact science.

Also, if you have a bunch of companion plants it may help to hide your ginseng. Think \"visual clutter\".

Re:Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29569

It was a family friend that had permission to dig and has been told about my plans. Trying to keep it a secret as best I can, but you have to tell some people. I'm sure there is some growing on other parts of the property, I just want this a little closer to the house for security reasons.

Re:Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29588

If it was there once, it will grow there again, especially if you are there to monitor it and help it along.

Re:Companion plants 9 years 9 months ago #29617

Archon wrote:

I also would like to hear if anyone thinks ginseng grows better next to certain plants. I am not talking about habitat. I mean the subtle effects that plants have on each other.

Walnut trees ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 464 guests and no members online

Login