2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WV National Forest Land

WV National Forest Land 9 years 8 months ago #29786

Hi all. I am new to the site and thought I would share a recent experience regarding the upcoming ginseng season. I called the forest service headquarters in Elkins to make sure the districts I like to hunt would be open this year and the man I spoke with informed me that the season begins on August 29 this year. I have always been under the impression that ginseng season opens Sept. 1 every year here in WV. Anyone have any input on this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:WV National Forest Land 9 years 8 months ago #29792

welcome to the forum. Either was it's only a day or so difference. I would wait a couple days to be safe if you do not find out. Good luck.
Latt

Re:WV National Forest Land 9 years 8 months ago #29793

Welcome to the Wildgrown forums!

Although the National Forestry Regional Offices were supposed to have this information posted on their' website long ago, the do not have it posted. I would advise contacting the NF Ranger Station for your area or if needed, one outside of your area (see the link below). They should have and know the correct Dates! Since most Ginseng Seasons have been moved to September 1st or later in many National Forests, I can't see why that Dates for the National Forests in West Virginia would be much different. I really question an August 29th opening date!

www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!u...%20Forest-%20Offices

Good luck!

Frank

Re:WV National Forest Land 9 years 8 months ago #29811

Spoke to a ranger in a specific district and she clarified things. August 29th is the first day permits are issued. Opening day is Sept 1st as always. Thanks for the responses fellas and good luck as well in the upcoming season.

Re:WV National Forest Land 9 years 8 months ago #29812

Glad to hear you got that sorted out! I would hate to hear that based on the earlier Date that you received, you went out and dug Ginseng on August 29th, were caught and fined or worse. Sometimes it is best to get the word from the horse's mouth per see as in the folks in the Ranger Stations that have responsibility for a specific area of a National Forest!

Good luck this season and as always, be safe!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds

Who's Online

We have 216 guests and no members online

Login