2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi

Hi 9 years 7 months ago #30727

I just discovered I have ginseng growing on my property. I just bought the property last Oct. and had no idea what ginseng was until I seen the dreaded \"Outlaws\" show you all fondly love.

I looked about my property and found no less a hundred plants but not one big enough to harvest. The funny thing is on August 31st I was out doing some school shopping and when I returned home I found someone leaving my driveway which is very odd since my driveway is somewhat hidden and over a half mile long with a few turns in it. The person said they were there looking for a boat they left there 8 years ago.
Something about the whole thing just seemed off and I took down the plate number in case something was missing. After checking, nothing was missing so chucked the plate number and started to put up a gate in my driveway.

Fast forward a week and I discover ginseng on my property but not one mature plant. I am positive I got robbed. This year was a tough year financially and any extra money would've been nice. So on top of the gate I bought a 16 camera HD night vision set-up with alarms to monitor my property and I'm thinking about boobie trapping the rest with some hidden trip wires and a few punji holes and what not. I am also considering fencing to keep the deer out but fencing brings attention.

I've worked hard my whole life in the construction industry and have the aches and pains and scars to prove it and if I happened to step in crap/ginseng by buying a piece of property that can support a cash crop then I want to reap the reward or dumb luck of it.
I am a very private person and that's why I bought a piece of property that is very private and secluded. I generally dis-like people and I despise those who trespass and there is few things I hate more than a thief. Rob me once shame on me, rob me twice well, your ass is gonna be mine. I might not be able to see in the dark but my NV scope on my AR can.

But I don't want to be all doom and gloom. I came here to learn and my goal is to perhaps be able to one day have a successful small plot that can supplement my retirement income one day or at least turn into some fun money for me and the wife.

I wanted to harvest the seeds and just replant them but my wife seems to think stratifying them is best so I am going to try and make a stratifying box to bury in the ground. I hope I don't mess the seeds up. I'll ask some questions over in the Growing forum to clarify.

Any way I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to you all.
-Nugget

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Hi 9 years 7 months ago #30732

Thanks Frank. I have a small tract of property only about 5 1/2 acres but the one side about 2 acres is where I found the ginseng. where it faces NW. Any way I look forward to learning.

Re:Hi 9 years 7 months ago #30858

Hi Nugget, welcome to the forums. Sorry that you had trespassers, it certainly is hard to stop a poacher who is dead set on poaching. Good luck!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds

Who's Online

We have 1078 guests and no members online

Login