2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oak trees and tannic acid question

Oak trees and tannic acid question 12 years 6 months ago #14937

Hi there, this is my first growing season. About 95% of my woods are oak trees. Should I be concerned about the tannic acid? I haven't planted yet, just got my seeds. The only other place on our property is open field, so I don't have a lot of options. Any help/advice is appreciated!! :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Oak trees and tannic acid question 12 years 6 months ago #14940

Not sure about the acid, but with 95% oak you will may experience some problems with the dense leaf litter in the springtime. If you get a wet damp winter those leaves dont breakdown quickly and can compact and make a barrier that makes it hard for the seedlings to make it to the surface.

Re:Oak trees and tannic acid question 12 years 6 months ago #14943

MOhomegrown,
Agree with K_duce 100%. I planted my first pound in 1995 in a primarily oak forest. It was a proven woods with some wild seng in it. However, I got about 5% germination. I did everything just like you are supposed to do. I just didn't know that the big waxy oak leaves block the ginseng from coming up. Learned a valuable lesson the hard way. Your best bet is to mulch the leaves somehow. I have used an old self propelled push mower that I did not mind putting through the woods. It won't last too long thou so be prepared for it to take a beating in the woods. Once mulched rake to the side and then plant the seeds then recover with the mulched leaves. Once mulched the leaves will not cover the seeds all that well so you will need to take in some mulched leaves from another source or location. I gather leaves from neighbors that mulch and bag them.
Good luck,
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Who's Online

We have 512 guests and no members online

Login