2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upstate New York Ginseng

Upstate New York Ginseng 11 years 11 months ago #17653

Greetings!

I have been following this forum for about a month or so, and I'm new to the Ginseng Hunting and Growing experience. Ive become deeply entrigued with growing and hunting 'sang.' I have about 190 acres of land in the Finger Lakes Region of Upsate New York. Studies from Cornell University are beginning studying the abilities for growing Seng in my region.

It's quite funny the amount of odd looks i recieve when i speak of growing and hunting seng.

So the other day I was hiking with my son and puppy on my land. I found my first bed of seng. ( I believe ) I regrettable pulled up two roots and possibly a first year. The mixed excitement and novice took over me. I am not 100% sure if this is seng, but if it is I have quite a bit of wild seng growing on my property. I will also begin starting wild sim beds this fall.

I do not have the picture on me at the moment, but i will post shortly.

Just wanted to say HELLO to everyone, and also curious if any other upstate new yorkers are about :-p

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Upstate New York Ginseng 11 years 11 months ago #17657

Post some pictures when you can, as that would be a good way for getting help in identifying whether or not it is ginseng. Hope it wasn't poison ivy you were picking...!!

Re:Upstate New York Ginseng 11 years 11 months ago #17671

Elicias

I too live in NY. This is only my second year of growing but I have been digging ginseng for atleast 15 years.

Hope what you found is ginseng. Unfortunately there are many plants that are similar in apperance. Post your pic though and everyone on this site will let you know what you've found.

FYI...Ginseng by law can't be picked in NY until Sept. 1. This allows the berries to fully mature before the roots are dug. A list of NY and many other state laws are posted on the left side of the page.

Good luck and welcome!

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds

Who's Online

We have 158 guests and no members online

Login