2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Irrigation

Irrigation 11 years 9 months ago #18477

I'm thinking of planting ginseng this fall but I'm concerned about a continuation of the drought. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of springs to supply water for irrigation and I would like to know if any of the growers on this board have tried this. Can it be done successfully?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Irrigation 11 years 9 months ago #18488

I think the short answer is yes, you can water ginseng. However, the danger is too much water will (notice I did not say might, or maybe or could..but WILL) cause root disease in ginseng.

I would be careful doing so, but in times like these don't think a little watering would hurt.

To give you a rule of thumb, I grow my SELECT rootlets in a peat mixture in a raised bed. This means they hold some water, but dry out before the ground does. I have only watered them about three or four times during this hot weather. I soak them well early enough in the day for the plant surfaces to completely dry. This avoids disease issues. Then, I won't water for another week or so, even if the hot dry stuff continues. Be sure to let the ground/soil dry out between waterings.

Be sure to let us know what you find out if you try it.

Re:Irrigation 11 years 9 months ago #18491

Ya bastle, if you do get rootrot be sure to move infected plants or it will spread for sure.

Re:Irrigation 11 years 9 months ago #18493

Thanks for the advice! I'll let y'all know if I try.

Re:Irrigation 11 years 9 months ago #18494

Mr wild wrote:

Ya bastle, if you do get rootrot be sure to move infected plants or it will spread for sure.

*nod*

I generally get away without too much root disease through preventative spraying.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 386 guests and no members online

Login