2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Billys Wild Simulated

Billys Wild Simulated 9 years 10 months ago #29009

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Well guys here is a short video that I made of the first years of planting wild simulated ginseng by me.
As you know I decided not to add any thing the soil etc. Not assist in any way from the start.
I only chose to plant where I knew the soil would have good calcium deposits naturally by the trees and plants there that create it every year.

I said if they live they live and if they do not they do not but I will not add any thing to them and I haven't. So it has been 4 seasons since the first planting. Here is my 2 yr olds 3yr, 4 yr, and 5 yr old plants all done the way I explained above.

I have noticed that I do not have as high a percentage to live a past the 3rd year as many of you do who do use many different techniques. I end up with 40 to 50 o/o survivor rate per patch after they get to that age. It is to me a great percentage and I am well pleased with that. I have also noticed that the 4 yr and the 5 yr olds that do mature get very strong in those two years and thrive. I will have my first good seed harvest this year. I am hoping for 25 pd but we wil see. In the not to distant future that should increase to 100 pd if all goes well.

Guys I want to say that if you plant and grow any other way that I appreciate what you do and in no way do I mean that you shouldn't use any help. Everyone does not have the soil that we have and I know that. So it is just my preferred way to do it. I read near every post by all of you on how you grow and I love reading them and learning from your all's trial and error just like mine :)

Would like to say blessings to all my friends here. It is not long until ThE SeNg FaCtOr Kicks in Barhhhhhh.

Billy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Billys Wild Simulated 9 years 10 months ago #29010

Great report Billy,
It is sure nice to see it done right with soil that can produce like yours will.
I wish you luck as those patches begin producing berries. Make some more videos to show us how it goes in the next couple of years.
Hugh

Re:Billys Wild Simulated 9 years 10 months ago #29011

Billy, your wild sim. is looking good.

Re:Billys Wild Simulated 9 years 10 months ago #29013

Billy, That is a great germination and survival ratio of 40 to 50 %. I have a spot where I planted 5 lbs = 32,500 seeds. The soil is awesome very fertile black sandy and loamy with calcium at 6,700 PPA. I checked the spot a couple weeks ago and I have big 3 prongs all over the place. I even have quite a few 1 year old's too. So did these produced seed at 2 years old or some seed laid dormant for a year or more after planting 3 years and 8 months ago? Who knows.

Anyway it looks like there is ginseng everywhere. I planted the 5 lbs on about 3/4 acre or less. I used the rake and scatter method. I did not and have not sprayed or anything. I am guessing I have about 2,000 to 2,500 nice big 3 year old 3 prong plants, maybe more.

All of them are healthy with large plant tops and nice wild shaped roots. About 20 % of them have berries on them. I can see where something ate the berries off many of them.

Even though I am ecstatic about how great they are doing I only have about 7 to 8% that survive past the first 3 years.

I think hard shelled snails and deer and turkey got the rest of them in the first year or 2.

I can't imagine how many I would have had if I would have took care of them.

Anyway I am happy with this spot for sure and I am glad to hear you have so many that survived to year 4.

I wanted to view your video but I could not open it this morning. I will try again later.

Great job Billy and everyone that is planting some seed. I think we are doing a good thing. I truly believe many of our efforts will leak over and help repopulate other areas with seed that will eventually be Presumed Wild Seng. I mean if deer, birds, mice and other animals eat the berries and pass the seeds elsewhere, just think of how many plants will come of it due to our efforts. What a great secondary benefit for ginseng in general.

Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Who's Online

We have 772 guests and no members online

Login