2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2yr old plants

2yr old plants 9 years 9 months ago #29141

Hey guys I checked my patches I planted 2yrs ago now and they have thinned some from last year but 80% are still 3 leaf plants the others are a single stem with 5 leaves? Height wise they really haven't grown a lot. Is this typically or not? There was no ginseng in this area previously but they're is cohosh. I planted it as wild simulated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:2yr old plants 9 years 9 months ago #29142

Hi 4runner00,

That is not real unusual. Did you happen to take a soil sample before you planted? You may be a little low on Calcium where you are growing them and if that is the case some Gypsum would pep them up. It will also help if you have tight soil conditions.

Hugh

Re:2yr old plants 9 years 9 months ago #29143

I didn't do a soil samole , I found the cohosh on north face and planted would adding the Gypsum still consider it wild simulated? They're was hardly any oaks in the timber around mainly maple, beech, and popular

Re:2yr old plants 9 years 9 months ago #29144

4runner00,
Technically speaking, maybe not. You will have to look far and wide to find soil that is perfect, without any amendments, to grow ginseng in. Most of us on the board are having to do some soil adjustments to get proper growth. The first thing to do is to take a soil sample and find out if anything is needed. If any nutrients are found to be short, maybe you can get some advise about natural methods of changing soil readings. Good luck.

Hugh

Re:2yr old plants 9 years 9 months ago #29145

Hugh,
Thanks for your advise buddy, I'll give this a shot when planting this year

Re:2yr old plants 9 years 9 months ago #29157

Hugh's advise is well-spoken. Sometimes the 'sang takes a while to get big.... And sometimes the root get bigger than the tops.

I would enjoy seeing the tops get larger, as the plant ages as well. However if most of your crop is of the two year old age, then small is what to expect.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Who's Online

We have 1025 guests and no members online

Login