2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seed Bed and question on storing red berries

Seed Bed and question on storing red berries 9 years 9 months ago #29416

I got out and checked my seed bed this evening and some wild sim I have planted near by and they are looking pretty good for this time of year.

For the most part we had a excellent growing year, not too hot, not too dry, not too wet.

For the next several weeks... I will be getting a few red berries now and then, and that will pick up near the end of this month and the first week or two in September when the majority will turn red.

I found the first red berry today.

I would like to pick them ever few days (so other critters don't get them), for a couple of weeks until I accumulate a nice wad and then go and plant them.

My question is - if any of you do that... how do you do the temporary storage of the red berries for that two week period ?

I don't plan on stratifying the seed, just planting the red berries.

Would it be Ok to simply store them in a zip lock bag in a cool dark place for a couple of weeks ?

How to you all do that ?

PS... a couple of pics below from my seed bed August 8, 2014.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seed Bed and question on storing red berries 9 years 9 months ago #29417

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed and question on storing red berries 9 years 9 months ago #29419

Tn,
Everything is looking good in the seed bed and you should have quite a few berries. I had a pretty good crop a couple of years ago, and since they were sort of spread out in ripening, I took some fine fluffy mulch that has some moisture in it. I placed some of the mulch into a small container. I would pick a few about every 2-3 days and place down into the mulch. I kept these berries in a cool place while I was accumulating a pretty good amount. When I got enough to plant a couple of rows I would pour the mulch out and catch the berries. You can separate them pretty easily like this and I was able to plant 8 rows by the time they ran out. I don't believe that a mulch that has pieces of bark or heavier material in it would work too well. You are able to move them inside away from where critters might get to them by using this approach. Good luck.

Hugh

Re:Seed Bed and question on storing red berries 9 years 9 months ago #29494

That sounds good Hugh.

I may try storing them in some slightly moist mulch or even leaves. I expect moss would work fine too. That is what fine roots are usually packed in for storage or shipping.

I remember Guy saying he stratified his seed in leaf mulch rather than sand.

I may just put some moist leaves or mulch in a zip lock bag and store them in my basement. It is always nice and cool down there.

TNhunter

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds

Who's Online

We have 537 guests and no members online

Login