2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Woods fixing to be logged

Woods fixing to be logged 9 years 9 months ago #29429

OK guys I have some ginseng that I've been keeping up with for several years. Been planting the berries for about 5 years and may be around 100 plants on this property. They're fixing to select cut this property next week. What should I do? I hate to see it get killed. Is it ok to transplant this time of year? Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Woods fixing to be logged 9 years 9 months ago #29433

Next years buds have already been formed so the roots should come back next year if you transplant. Some will say it is illegal to dig even for transplanting until season starts, but if you are doing it to save the plants then I don't see anything wrong with it personally.

Re:Woods fixing to be logged 9 years 9 months ago #29435

That's the way I'm looking at it too. Thanks lenno

Re:Woods fixing to be logged 9 years 9 months ago #29451

Ditto

Re:Woods fixing to be logged 9 years 9 months ago #29454

If worse comes to worse and you don't have time to dig up the plants and transplant them, you could snip the tops off of the plants to ensure that the loggers will not dig them. In this scenario, most if not all of the roots will likely be saved but go dormant for 5 to 10 years or more due to the logging and lack of canopy and when they finally do come back up, they will have smaller, lighter weight roots and their' tops may have degraded from 4 prongs to 3 prongs and 3 prongs to 2 prongs. Once they again grow tops and have had 3 to 5 years to recoup somewhat from their dormancy period, they should be ready to harvest or at least the one's you want to harvest while leaving some behind to continue to propagate the species.

Frank

Re:Woods fixing to be logged 9 years 9 months ago #29578

A woods I had permission to hunt on was the same way you mentioned, it had tons and tons of babies with nice adult plants mixed throughout. They select cut the forest, dragged the logs out in every direction. That was 5 years ago, and I have yet to find a single baby ginseng plant growing there now. The woods has been ruined.

If you have any ability to save the plants I recommend doing it.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Who's Online

We have 81 guests and no members online

Login