2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Follow up thread about stratifying ginseng berries

Follow up thread about stratifying ginseng berries 9 years 8 months ago #29818

A few weeks back board member rpdgrump had a fine thread showing his attempt at stratifying ginseng berries I really enjoyed it and I mentioned that I had made my first attempt at trying this time honored but little known of method of getting your own seed. My attempt was on a little smaller scale due to not having many berries last year. My container was a mesh inner wrap and a stronger metal outside wrap to keep critters from gnawing thru. It seemed to be successful and I placed it on my website because of so many pictures. The details are underneath the photos. I hope that you enjoy and learn more about this part of growing ginseng.
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/Choosing%20places%20to%20grow%20ginseng2.htm

Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Follow up thread about stratifying ginseng berries 9 years 8 months ago #29822

Nice job Hugh

Re:Follow up thread about stratifying ginseng berries 9 years 8 months ago #29826

Hugh,
That's good practice for when you have to start doing a couple hundred pounds that way! Wouldn't that be nice given these seed prices...

Hillhopper

Re:Follow up thread about stratifying ginseng berries 9 years 8 months ago #29830

Lenno,
Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

Hill,
I'll have to say, that would really be something to set as a goal in the future.
I suspect that most years will be more about just getting enough to plant more where I'm expanding. I think your ability to grow such nice plants is going to lead to some very nice berry crops in the near future. At least we can hope for some good years.

Hugh

Re:Follow up thread about stratifying ginseng berries 9 years 8 months ago #29900

Awesome pictures, thanks for showing.

Re:Follow up thread about stratifying ginseng berries 9 years 8 months ago #29910

Cool

I'm glad you had success stratifying. I ended up planting my 750 seed in August can't wait to count them next spring. I'm doing the same this season except planting more berries than stratifying. NY berries still ripening some plants way ahead of others.

Thanks for the update
Attachments:

Re:Follow up thread about stratifying ginseng berries 9 years 8 months ago #29911

rpdgrump,
I want to thank you again personally for showing all of us the techniques that you used to solve some problems that everyone will face when growing ginseng. The stratification box, the netting to protect individual plants that are bearing berries, and the full cages. I have had only limited success with protecting some wild Kentucky plants that have been bearing full pods of berries for several years. Some years I could get to them before they got to the ripe berries and some years I was not able to. After going to Lowes and buying the netting and placing it around a few select plants like you had shown, I did not lose any berries this time. I hope others are paying close attention to some of the things you have placed on this website. They work! Thanks again.

Hugh
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 606 guests and no members online

Login