2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fertilizer for Woods Grown GInseng

Fertilizer for Woods Grown GInseng 9 years 8 months ago #29929

I've been looking for reference materials on use of fertilizers for woods grown ginseng but only find comments that it may need some. Has anyone used fertilizers on their woods grown started with seeds? I know my soil was a bit low in calcium and phosphorous so I was wondering if I should use fertilizer for the seeds I planted last weekend. If so, can I mix up a liquid batch and user a sprayer to fertilize the area?
Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Fertilizer for Woods Grown GInseng 9 years 8 months ago #29930

As a general rule, you do not want to add fertilizer to woodsgrown or wild simulated ginseng plantings as that will make it truely cultivated.

I think Whitjr has experimented with foliar applications of fertilizer, but I don't recall seeing how his roots came out looking. I don't think he has stuff old enough yet to really tell.

Re:Fertilizer for Woods Grown GInseng 9 years 8 months ago #29931

Thanks Brad. I'll skip applying any fertilizer and see how things come up next year. Maybe I'll get lucky and the deer will use the area to deposit their natural organic fertilizers. :)

Re:Fertilizer for Woods Grown GInseng 9 years 8 months ago #29932

I planted some places that were a bit low on calcium and phosphorus and when I planted the seed I put down some gypsum and bone meal.

Both of those will add Calcium, and Bone Meal will add Phosphorous.

It helped them out some I think. They looked really good the first couple of years, but have not made a whole lot of progress since then. Still quite small.

I put down gypsum on them each spring, but not sure it has helped a whole lot in those locations.

I have other locations that had better Ca and P soil test, and had some wild seng growing there already, and that is where my plantings have done best.

If the location and soil is not quite right, and there is no wild growing there naturally... I think it is sort of a long shot that you will have much luck.

I hope yours does well... but I would advise anyone not to go to big at it in questionable locations, until you see good results in year 3 or 4. If they are making 3 prongs and starting to produce berries in year 3 and 4... then I think you have the green light to go all out.

Good luck !

TNhunter

Re:Fertilizer for Woods Grown GInseng 9 years 8 months ago #29934

Hi TN great to hear from you!

The location I planted the first 4 ounces doesn't have ginseng but there is a lot of fern, old maple leaf clutter, lots of wild ginger and and solomon's seal. There are two more spots I will plant a couple ounces of seeds this year. I am only spending about $75. total on seeds this year. If nothing grows I won't be broke from the investment. I've learned a real lot about ginseng and ginseng farming. Additionally I've met some really great people here in the forum.

It sure was fun seeing the wildlife out in the woods. I haven't spent much time in the woods since I gave up deer hunting. I shot several bucks during my youth that died immediately but one year I had one that didn't die even after being hit 7 times in the chest. I walked up on it and it was laying there looking at me making that baying noise and it broke my dang heart. I finished it off and quit deer hunting the same day. Now my daughter's and I shoot them with our cameras only. Here is a crazy picture of 2 bucks in my yard a couple weeks ago.

Thanks!
Attachments:

Re:Fertilizer for Woods Grown GInseng 9 years 8 months ago #29935

DougJ29,
I have a suggestion for you. If you aren't quite certain about applying fertilizers there is something that you can do that will help after a few seasons of doing this. If you have access to lots of Maple and Poplar leaves, they will supply the Calcium and other minerals that your plants need. You can take large garbage bags and rake up piles of leaves from these two types of trees. Fill the bags full and scatter them over your beds or rows in the Fall as leaves are coming down. 4-6 inches of extra leaves will add mulch real quickly and provide the needed food that ginseng loves. It helps with holding moisture in dry weather and after a few seasons you will see stronger plants and big stems. That usually translates to bigger roots. It's a little extra work in the Fall, but you'll find it's worth it. Good luck.
Hugh
By the way, it's free.

Re:Fertilizer for Woods Grown GInseng 9 years 8 months ago #29936

Here is the picture I meant to post but couldn't get it to attach.
Attachments:

Re:Fertilizer for Woods Grown GInseng 9 years 8 months ago #29937

Hi Hugh - that is a great idea. I have lots of access to those types of leaves.
Thank you very much for the suggestion!
Doug

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Who's Online

We have 474 guests and no members online

Login