2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Re-planting in the same location questions

Re-planting in the same location questions 9 years 4 months ago #33987

I'm confused. I've read articles on line where horticulture doctors say ginseng can't be replanted in the same area? I guess after harvesting you can't replant? Is there any truth behind this? So what she is saying once you've planted and harvested the land is no good to keep yearly plantings going? How can that be possible. As long as the soil is still within acceptable levels of nutrients, how can that be. I was thinking I'd have the soil tested every year. As a buffer to deter problems that would arise. If it needed something, aka N, P, K, calcium, micro nutes I'd add that to the soil. Anybody want to chime in on this? Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Re-planting in the same location questions 9 years 4 months ago #33989

I think that that may very well be true in situations where ginseng is commercially grown - planted very thick, which leads to lots of disease issues.

It may not be the lack of nutrients in the soil, but the build up of disease (fungal issues) that makes it very difficult to grow it over and over again in the same location.

Larry Hardings told me a few years ago that he had grown wild simulated ginseng successfully in the same location... but I know he sprays like crazy for fungal issues. I have no idea what else he may have done to pull that off.

I grow a garden full of stuff each year.. and always rotate my crops.. which helps to minimize disease issues.

If you grew wild simulated ginseng in a location (say 10 years) then harvested... and replanted in goldenseal, and waited another 10 years and harvested that, then I bet you might have some luck growing ginseng there again.

10 years is a long time to wait... but would not be so bad if you had some other crop in progress.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Re-planting in the same location questions 9 years 4 months ago #33994

Thanks TN. We do the same with our farm. I guess the best thing to do is have a large enough growing area to rotate everything out. Also, you could amind the soil with the proper soil test. The soil would need to sit bare for a couple years also. Then replant. Now, if you treat heavily for fungus, would that effect the gensenosides in the root? Does any one know this question?

Re:Re-planting in the same location questions 9 years 4 months ago #34013

I agree with TN, I think the rule refers to commercial growing. They typically plant 4-5 plants per square foot, for acres and acres. If you are wild simulating planting with 1-2 plants per square foot, I wouldn't worry about replanting in the same area.

Re:Re-planting in the same location questions 9 years 4 months ago #34028

Thanks Mortis and TN for clearing that up. I guess I was a little confused. The article didn't specified whether it was commercial growing.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 219 guests and no members online

Login