2017 Fall/Winter Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping until sold out. Order your seed today!
* Ginseng Rootlets: SOLD OUT
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Root rot

Root rot 2 years 4 months ago #36054

Hi everyone I'm new to rhis site but have been growing ginseng since 2001. I have a question about my oldest ginseng. It is starting to get phytophthora root rot and was wondering if I can go ahead and dig it now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Root rot 2 years 4 months ago #36056

Sorry to hear about the root rot.

Is it affecting a large area or just a small location ?

If you are in \"tn\" Tennessee... the legal harvest season date span (Sept 1 - Dec 31) applies to root harvested for resale.

It does not apply if you are harvesting for personal use.

If you plan to harvest and sell it, then I think (legally) you would be limited to the harvest season date span.

I don't know of any exceptions for growers of wild sim in TN.

On the other hand a man needs to do what he has to do to be successful at growing it. I personally would not think bad of someone that was harvesting root even for resale outside of the legal date span, in a situation where if you don't get it now you are going to lose it.

TNhunter

Re:Root rot 2 years 4 months ago #36063

It's probably 500 14 year old roots in that patch. It's not every plant dying yet but it's scattered enough to worry me. I dug a few yesterday and found some roots that had not come up because their neck was rotten off. It really hurts my feelings digging them though, I got over a gallon of berries from them last year.

Re:Root rot 2 years 4 months ago #36075

TnFarmer,

I would dig them if I were you. It seems like once the tops start showing signs of disease, the roots are already worthless. Get them while you can.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterHillhopperjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 84 guests and one member online