2017 Fall/Winter Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping until sold out. Order your seed today!
* Ginseng Rootlets: SOLD OUT
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seeds

Seeds 7 years 2 months ago #5031

I was wondering if it is safe to plant seeds when there has been no rain for about 2 weeks in Pa.? The soil is dry. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Seeds 7 years 2 months ago #5033

If the seeds are Stratified Seeds it would not be safe to plant if the soil is dry. I've had the best luck with planting just after a good rain and just as the Fall leaves are starting to fall so that they stay covered and moist.

Re:Seeds 7 years 2 months ago #5036

Thank you, classicfur. How should I keep my stratified seeds until ready to plant?

Re:Seeds 7 years 2 months ago #5066

Thynose

Your seeds should be kept in a ziplock bag with several tiny holes poked through the bag to alow air in, and moisture out. Store them in the bottom drawer of your fridg.

The seeds should have a very slight moisture to them. If they are too wet, they will start to mold.
Note: Do not allow them to freeze or the germination cycle will be messed up.

Re:Seeds 7 years 2 months ago #5171

Classicfur,
Thank you for your advice. It finally rained very little in my area in Pa. I would say, 1/8 in. of rain. It has been down in the late 47 degree temperature at night. Is it safe to plant under those conditions? I want to do this before hunting season comes in.

Re:Seeds 7 years 2 months ago #5184

Dig down into the soil an inch or so. If its dry I would hold off planting.

Re:Seeds 7 years 2 months ago #5185

I thought you were a little better off holding off planting til a little later in the fall? When it's cooler and the leaves start falling.

Re:Seeds 7 years 2 months ago #5188

classicfur wrote:

Thynose

Your seeds should be kept in a ziplock bag with several tiny holes poked through the bag to alow air in, and moisture out. Store them in the bottom drawer of your fridg.

The seeds should have a very slight moisture to them. If they are too wet, they will start to mold.
Note: Do not allow them to freeze or the germination cycle will be messed up.

Re:Seeds 7 years 2 months ago #5189

classicfur wrote:

If the seeds are Stratified Seeds it would not be safe to plant if the soil is dry. I've had the best luck with planting just after a good rain and just as the Fall leaves are starting to fall so that they stay covered and moist.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterHillhopperjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 161 guests and one member online