2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Panax Ginseng verses American Ginseng

Panax Ginseng verses American Ginseng 13 years 5 months ago #7638

The most common name given to Panax ginseng is Asian ginseng, Asiatic ginseng or Chinese ginseng, because of its origin, growing mainly in its native northern regions of China, as well as Siberia and areas of Korea.
Last year I planted some Panax ginseng seeds. I planted 1 pound. It cost me a fortune to buy it and to receive it legally and it was held up in customs before it was approved to be shipped into the USA. The seed looked almost identical to American Ginseng (Panax Quinquefolius) but slightly smaller. I made sure to plant it in a great wooded area but isolated from any other native wild ginseng plants or American ginseng plants that I have growing from seed.
The plant looks very similar to American ginseng but its root looks somewhat different and the plants can get very large. It's properties are similar with the active ingredients of American ginseng but are supposed to have a different effect on the body verses American ginseng. I will spare you the details as it is available by searching for \"Panax ginseng\" on the internet if anyone is interested in the Yin and Yang or the heating VS cooling effects on the body.
I am looking forward to seeing what this patch will do in the next 8 to 10 years and what the marketability will be. The ability to buy true Panax Ginseng seed is not impossible but it is difficult to find a ginseng dealer/supplier authorized to sell Panax ginseng seeds that are of good quality. I am not sure if this pound of Panax Ginseng will do well or not as this was my first experience with it. I will monitor it closely to make sure it does not spread out of the area that I have it planted in. It is truly a beautiful plant that mother nature has provided to us and I do not care if it is worth more or worth less than American ginseng. I just want to see one more of God's beautiful woodland plant species growing in the woods and to learn more about it from watching it grow.
If anyone else has ever grown Panax ginsneg I sure would like to hear about your experience with it.
Thanks,
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Panax Ginseng verses American Ginseng 13 years 5 months ago #7643

Latt,

That is interesting. I would like to try growing some asian ginseng as well.

Did you get good germination rates with the pound of seed you planted? If so, I would like to have the dealer/sellers contact info.

Lenno

Re:Panax Ginseng verses American Ginseng 13 years 5 months ago #7645

Lenno,
I planted the seed last year and I did not check the spot out this year believe it on not. However next spring the plants will be 2 years old and I am going to go back to the spot to see how they did on germination. I will dig a couple of dozen roots next fall and send them to you for free. I know it is against the law to send ginseng out of state so I will check with the ODNR to see what I will have to do to send these to you without either one of us getting a fine. Hows that sound?
I bought the Panax Ginseng seed from Paul Redding at www.gssa.net.au/
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Panax Ginseng verses American Ginseng 13 years 5 months ago #7649

Latt,

Thanks, that sounds great. I am pretty sure it is different selling planting stock than it is wild ginseng, as far as going out of state. Hopefully it wont be a lot of trouble to send \"cultivated\" planting stock.

Lenno

Re:Panax Ginseng verses American Ginseng 13 years 5 months ago #7652

Latt, I too planted some Panax last season. I had around 80-85% germination and before the frost they were doing fine and the foliage didn't turn yellow as fast as our native Ginseng. I'v talked with various people who have tried to grow it and they say it is hard to do and it will struggle here. Im not for sure on that but so far so good. I am like you, I know the Chinese are loaded down with this plant but I just wanted some to say I had it.

Lenno,I have some seed I can send you If you are interested, It isn't many but it will get you a start so you can see what it looks like. The stratification process for these seed is different as well.

Hillhopper

Re:Panax Ginseng verses American Ginseng 13 years 5 months ago #7670

Hillhopper, email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Thanks,Lenno

Re:Panax Ginseng verses American Ginseng 13 years 5 months ago #7680

email is sent Lenno

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 787 guests and no members online

Login