2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ginseng age and prices

Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7701

I talked with a man yesterday that once graded roots for the Chinese and he informed me that variations in age of harvested woods grown Ginseng would definately increase the price paid. He went on to say it was definately good to not dig every plot completley and to let some grow to older, on up to maybe eleven years would be sufficient. That way, given that your root looked wild , if you had maybe 15% that were 10 to 11 years old and the same amount for 8 and then 9 years while digging the rest at seven you would definately get a good wild price. The main thing he noted was not to cultivate deep enough or to use fertilizers that would produce a carrot shaped root for they would greatly reduce your profit despite it's weight. A consistent age among your root harvested will be apparent it isnt wild and therefore will not bring a wild price he said. Variations in your harvested crop's age will therfore allow it to fly under the radar as wild.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7704

hillhopper,

It sounds like you could dig 10 pounds wild, and mix it with 20 or 30 pounds woods grown and get wild price for all. That would be great.

Lenno

Re:Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7705

That is how I took it as well. I don't know how ethical it is but he said it sure works.

Re:Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7715

Well, that may change all my plans of harvesting.

I have seng that range from 1-7 years old this coming season(aprox 50,000). I was planning on harvesting the seven yr olds in a couple of years from now when they are eight yrs old. But from the sounds of what your saying, it might be best to wait til they are 11 yrs old. That would be five yrs from now.

Then I could harvest the 11 yr olds, I will dig all of them(about 600 roots) along with only a portion(perhaps 1,000 each)of my 8,9 and 10 yr old roots. That would give me a variety in ages of roots.

Then, the following yr I will do the same thing. Harvest the rest of the 11 yr olds along with some 8,9 and 10 yr olds. And then do it again the next year and so on.

I can't dig Wild Seng in my state, but I think this would work out well. I'll just have to wait three years longer than expected.

Thanks for the info!

classicfur

Re:Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7717

That is a little aggravating I know classicfur, being so close to harvest your root but it may make a couple hundred dollar a pound difference for as long as you grow Ginseng. Seven years is a long time to wait anyhow but It sounds as if the pay off is worth it

Re:Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7722

Does anyone know how long you can keep ginseng once you have dried it out? I have a root I dug last year stored in a box. It looks the same now as it did last fall of 2009 when I dug it. I let it dry as usual and I have it in a box so it does not get beat up. It weighed 2.5 ounces wet. It is 47 years old and is the biggest root I have ever found.
I am just wondering if it is possible to harvest roots then wait a year or two to sell when prices go up. This might also allow someone with just one planting area to dig over a three year period so your roots are multiple ages when you go to sell them in order to get a higher rate as mentioned in this string.
Thanks

Re:Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7732

Latt

On storing dried roots. this is from the Ginseng book by Kim Derek Pritts.

\"Once Ginseng roots are dried, they can be held indefinitely at room temperature or cooler. Some growers have been known to hold their roots for several years, waiting for the price to go up.\"

I suppose you could harvest roots several years in a row and end up with a batch that has varience in ages. But most of what I have read on Wild simulated plantings, suggest planting some every year until you have completed the cycle. Example: plant for ten years and harvest for ten years. By spreading out the planting over many years you are keeping yourself from being in the catagory of \"putting all your eggs in one basket\" so to speak. Which could be important if disease breaks out.

Whatever the case. It sounds like it's best to sell your roots with mixed ages.

classicfur

Re:Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7733

your up and stirrin around early this mornin classicfur

Re:Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7734

I can't stand to let the sun get up before I do!

classicfur

Re:Ginseng age and prices 13 years 5 months ago #7735

Im the same way. To me the day goes alot better when your already up and waitin on it lol

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Who's Online

We have 189 guests and no members online

Login