2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ginseng Seed Experiment Idea to the Forum Moderators

Ginseng Seed Experiment Idea to the Forum Moderators 13 years 4 months ago #8204

TNhunter, Classicfur or Billy,
I have an idea. What if everyone sent one of you 100 green (Not Stratified) ginseng seeds next fall (2011) from their planting beds. It would be interesting. It may be possible that you could accumulate the biggest genetically diverse group of ginseng seeds possibly ever. Then you could send everyone back approximately 80 seeds and keep 20 seeds from each person for yourself for facilitating this experiment. What a genetic experiment in ginseng seed it would be. Anyone that sends you the 100-seeds could get 80 mixed seeds back if they send you a self addressed return envelope and a small plastic sandwich bag for the seeds to go into. This would go inside the self addressed return envelope to keep the seeds from drying out.
You would accumulate all of the seeds from everyone and then mix them all together. Just imagine seeds possibly coming in from many of this forums members from KY, TN, OH, WV, NY, PA, MN, MI, IN, IL and NC and more. And as well as from multiple areas per state.
I know there are many regulations that monitor and govern how ginseng roots and ginseng seeds are sold or transported across state lines.
I am not sure if seeds that are donated verses sold makes a difference. I would certainly not want to suggest something that would get anyone in trouble. So I am sure the wealth of knowledge on this forum will be able to determine if this is something that would get anyone in trouble or not.
I would personally love to have 80 seeds to stratify and to mix in with my 2012 seeds that I am going to plant. It just takes 1 seed from one area to pass on its genetic traits. So it would be possible to get 80 different seeds fro 80 different areas if 80 or more people participate. We could pass on up to 80 different genetically diverse ginseng seeds into one planting from many states and areas within the states.
Anyway we have over 10 months to think about it.
Who knows we could produce a Super Seng that is better able to resist disease. We all know genetic diversity is a good thing typically and studies have shown it can be in ginseng as well.
Any thoughts guys?
Thanks,
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng Seed Experiment Idea to the Forum Moderators 13 years 4 months ago #8212

I am not a moderator, but I sure do like this idea. For many years I have been toying with various seed sources for this reason. Not sure about the laws as this is seed and not roots for sale. Some caution regarding treating our seeds as not to spread problems around might be wise. Cool idea!

Re:Ginseng Seed Experiment Idea to the Forum Moderators 13 years 4 months ago #8216

Latt,

Looking at the Tennessee State Ginseng Laws there is one below that could be a problem...

==
? No ginseng may leave the state of Tennessee without an export certificate.
==

And you have to be a registered dealer (250.00 annual fee) to get a export certificate.

It simply says ginseng - not ginseng seed - but then again it does not say ginseng root, or tops, or flower blossom's - it just says ginseng which I suppose they could say means any part of the ginseng plant including the seeds.

I have a email contact with the State of TN that I get the registered dealers list from and will ask them about this seed exchange idea of yours and see what they say.

Will let you know.

As long as we can legally do this I will be glad to participate.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:Ginseng Seed Experiment Idea to the Forum Moderators 13 years 3 months ago #8228

Sounds like a promising idea Latt, I'm in.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds

Who's Online

We have 283 guests and no members online

Login