2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: How many pines?

How many pines? 13 years 3 months ago #8352

How many conifers do you tolerate on your areas that you plant? I'm planning on giving them a wide berth when planting, at least 10 yds, and I have only a few per acre. these are both white pine and hemlock.

I have read that planting around conifers is not a good thing to do, and I have read from the U of West VA Ag that some are OK to have around.

What's the biggest disadvantage of these trees? Soil is too \"something\" for good growth of 'Sing? Or is it crowded out by the conifers? Or is it simply just the best 'Sing is grown in areas that have no conifers?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How many pines? 13 years 3 months ago #8354

I am sure there are other reasons possibly from what I am about to say. But in a dense forest of Pine depending on species the rain has a difficult time getting to the soil. I have literally stood under my Norway and Scotch Pines out back when it was pouring and I did not get wet at all. I have even tried to till underneath these pines and plant some ginseng seed for a seed bearing bed and the little plants simply did not get enough water and died. I am not so sure it is a soil issue as the soil underneath pines is a bit more acidic due to the pine needles that have dropped, but Ginseng likes acidic soil anyway. I know there are some Ginseng Growers that have tried to grow ginseng in the Pacific Northwest which has many conifer trees and they have a difficult time with it and many have simply walked away from it there.
Latt

Re:How many pines? 13 years 3 months ago #8358

Whitjr

Pine and conifer needles are very acidic. But as long as they are scattered through out your woods, you should be ok to plant. But I would not plant directly under pines or conifers except under white pines.

Years ago I read about seng growing well under White Pines. So 4 years ago I planted a bunch under the edge of a Large White pine. And I mulched them with the dead needles from under that tree. I might add that the bed is positioned so it gets the right amount of light. Those roots are doing very well.

In Scott Persons Ginseng book on pg. 98. \"Visual site assesment and grading crieria\"

It gives points for different types of woods. It grades on a scale of 0-10.

#1 sugar maples scores 10 points

#3 mixed hardwoods, beech, black cherry, red maple, white ash, red oak, basswood, scores 5 points.

#4 mixed hardwoods as above plus some hemlock and/or white pine scores 5 points

#7 all softwoods, pine hemlock, spruce fir scores 0

I skipped some of the catagories, but the point is that a Hardwood forest mixed with some Hemlock and/or White Pine is acceptable for planting

My woods are scattered with pines, conifers and hemlocks. I do not plant where there is alot of these. I concentrate my plantings where there is 75% maple and other hardwoods and just a few hemlock or pine trees. I have over 50,000(1-5 yr olds) planted in these woods. They have all done well.

classicfur

Re:How many pines? 13 years 3 months ago #8361

It's nice to hear that a few scattered conifers are OK. that's what I've got.

do you have an opinion about rododendrons proxemity to the 'sing?

Re:How many pines? 13 years 3 months ago #8362

Whitjr,
Wild Rododendrons are associated with southern states so you must live in TN, or NC or something south I assume. Rododendrons like acidic soil just like ginseng with some moisture. But just like ginseng they do not like soil that is wet. I am in Ohio and this is not an indicator plant that I look for when I am wild ginseng hunting in the woods. However, it would certainly make sense that this could be an indicator plant that would be growing in the correct conditions for ginseng. I am sure a sang hunter from one of the southern states will respond to your question soon.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:How many pines? 13 years 3 months ago #8364

I did a web search on \"rhododendron and allelopathy\" and got a few hits - see below:

www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/86/11/1597
www.warren-wilson.edu/~physics/NSS99_200...stracts-Spr-2000.htm
academic.research.microsoft.com/Paper/11655003.aspx

Below is from wikipedia on Allelopathy:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

I think some forms of Allelopathy only affect seed germination - where others can actually harm anything that attempts to grow near.

TNhunter

Re:How many pines? 13 years 3 months ago #8371

You guys are a big help. Thanks for the answers.

I'm from NC, Latt.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online

We have 177 guests and no members online

Login