2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gypsum vs. Lime

Gypsum vs. Lime 13 years 3 months ago #8486

Still waiting for my soil test results but I wanted to pose a question to ya'll. Gypsum or lime?
One of the main reasons I ask is I just found (4) 50 lb. bags of lime in an old barn on my property. They're probably at least 10 years old. If I'm trying to add calcium to my patches, can I use the lime instead of gypsum?
Also, lime can't spoil or go bad can it?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Gypsum vs. Lime 13 years 3 months ago #8489

In a nutshell. If your ph is good, add gypsum. Gypsum will not raise ph. If your ph is real low you might be able to use some lime. Lime will raise the ph.

Check this out. 1/3 way dound page under:Soil Management For Wild Simulated Ginseng Crops

pubs.ext.vt.edu/354/354-312/354-312.html

It expains about the Beyfuss and corbin studies on Calcium. Its the same info found in Scott Persons book.

classicfur

Re:Gypsum vs. Lime 13 years 3 months ago #8498

Chitalian Sanger,

Both Gypsum and Lime will add calcium but as classicfur mentioned Gypsum will not change the PH where Lime will raise the PH.

Where I am currently planting stratified seed on my property the PH tested out in the 5.4 - 5.7 range (which is near ideal for seng) but my calcium levels tested at 900-1100 pounds per acre and that is much lower than desired.

So in my case it makes sense to use Gypsum - I need to raise calcium levels but not affect the PH.

You would really only need to use Lime if your PH tested out quite low - like in the 4.0-4.5 range and you would want to be careful on the application rate because you don't really want to raise the PH over 5.5. If your PH was in the 4.0-4.5 range you would only want to add enough Lime to raise the PH to around 5.5 and if you still need more calcium boost then add more calcium by applying Gypsum.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Gypsum vs. Lime 13 years 3 months ago #8502

Great info, as I've come to expect from ya'll. Thanks again.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Who's Online

We have 85 guests and no members online

Login