2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why Not Try

Why Not Try 13 years 2 months ago #8669

• FlatPines
  • FlatPines's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi.

I am going to try a small seng plot eventhough my conditions are iffy.
I just ordered 2 oz. of seeds from this site, whatever brand that is.
I'm in Northern Illinois on flat land that is a sandy loam in the farmlands.
So, we are moist and well-drained.
But the area I have is all piney -- white pines. Maybe 20-year olds that I have pruned upwards so I can walk around under them.
It's the only area I have, and the seeds are ordered, so we'll give it a best shot.
Pne needle bed is thick, such as 2 inches, very shady, dirt does not dry, but does not puddle.
Can I plant this spring with the stratifies seed or should I wait til fall?
Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Why Not Try 13 years 2 months ago #8670

• BOYHUD17
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Give thanks to God for the sang we all love to dig
Well from what I've gathered from this site is that you can plant the seedlings in the spring, but it's alot easier for them to die. Because if you break any part of the seedling it'll die. And I'm not sure how you could keep (if even keep) your seed till next fall cuz you'll have to get them into some soil by the time they germinate and you want them in the soil by the time they do that, and if they dry out they'll die. Idk if yall have snow up there, but if yall do, then try and plant them when it all melts if the ground isn't completly frozen. Idk anything about planting under pine thickets tho.

But I'm straight up new to growing sang, so you might find some others for advice on this.

Re:Why Not Try 13 years 2 months ago #8672

FlatPines

If your planting area has only White Pines with no other types of trees, I think you will find it difficult to grow nice healthy ginseng.

I think the biggest problems will be: Pine trees have many fine surface roots which will cause the seng to compete for moiture and nutrients. And second, It's hard for seng to recieve the proper amount of sunlight under pines unless you plant the seng along the edges where sunlight comes through between the trees. Also the soil may not be right in nutrients and PH. A soil test would help.

Here is someting I posted earlier:

\"Pine and conifer needles are very acidic. But as long as they are scattered through out your woods, you should be ok to plant. But I would not plant directly under pines or conifers except under white pines.

Years ago I read about seng growing well under White Pines. So 4 years ago I planted a bunch under the edge of a Large White pine. And I mulched them with the dead needles from under that tree. I might add that the bed is positioned so it gets the right amount of light. Those roots are doing very well.

In Scott Persons Ginseng book on pg. 98. \"Visual site assesment and grading crieria\"

It gives points for different types of woods. It grades on a scale of 0-10.

#1 sugar maples scores 10 points

#3 mixed hardwoods, beech, black cherry, red maple, white ash, red oak, basswood, scores 5 points.

#4 mixed hardwoods as above plus some hemlock and/or white pine scores 5 points

#7 all softwoods, pine hemlock, spruce fir scores 0

I skipped some of the catagories, but the point is that a Hardwood forest mixed with some Hemlock and/or White Pine is acceptable for planting

My woods are scattered with pines, conifers and hemlocks. I do not plant where there is alot of these. I concentrate my plantings where there is 75% maple and other hardwoods and just a few hemlock or pine trees. I have over 50,000(1-5 yr olds) planted in these woods. They have all done well.\" classicfur

May I add, that the White Pine I planted under was a lone tree surrounded by other types of woodland trees and I planted on the outside edges of the branches.

Here is something from the web:

\"Growing anything under white pines and spruces is tough and it is not the acid issue. The conifers produce such a fine mass of roots close to the soil surface that anything else trying to grow in that area has to compete for water and nutrients. Thus other plants often tend not to do very well in this environment. You will need to provide good moisture and fertilize during the establishment period to get them off to a good start. Root pruning of the white pine can help but don't cut out an area larger than 5% of the root zone at a time.\"

I would suggest that if you have the seeds in hand, to go ahead and plant them as soon as the ground thaws. Plant your seeds on the northeast corner of your tree lot, so that it will get the early morning sun but wont be scorched by the sun later in the day. Or check out other areas between the trees where it will get about 70-80% shade. Cover the seeds with only 1 inch of mulch.

You have a difficult situation in wich to grow seng. But don't waste the seeds. Give it a try and hope for the best.

Good luck!
classicfur

Re:Why Not Try 13 years 2 months ago #8673

• FlatPines
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks. We can't wish our way to success when there just is not a great fit, right. That's OK. It will be an experiment I can report on even if it fails. The trees are part of a previous owner's christmas tree farm attempt, so mostly they are about 8 rows thick, allowing sunny edges. There is another area of the tree grove where many silver maples have dropped in -- I could focus back there. I sure hope deee aren't in love with this plant. There is also a drainage dith along the back of my property which faces north and is populated with old desiduous trees. Maybe that is more ideal.

Re:Why Not Try 13 years 2 months ago #8675

FlatPines,

I would definately focus on the area that has maple trees and even that ditch run that has mixed woods.

You might plant the bulk of your seed there and save a small amount (perhaps 100 seed or so) and try out a spot in the pines and just see how it does.

If you can plant in areas where the ginseng will get some morning sun, but be in decent shade the rest of the day (especially evening hours) that would be nice. Seng likes morning sun.

Also - if you have not seen this post yet you might want to check it out. There are a couple of youtub video's I did showing how to plant wild-simulated seng using rake/scatter method.

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Foru...ideo-on-Youtube.html

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Why Not Try 13 years 2 months ago #8676

• FlatPines
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
TNHunter, I did see those videos. My grove is a bit more choked, as it is just a 20-or-30-year-old grove, very boring on flat land. I really like the ditch idea. It is only perhaps 6 feet deep at most, but it doesn't fill up, and I really have no other use for it. The pines area would have trampling potential. I bought 900 seeds to play with. Thanks.

Re:Why Not Try 13 years 2 months ago #8685

FlatPines,
Many tried to start ginseng farms in the pacific northwest under various pines. I do not think they have had much luck. I have read where Pines produce a natural chemical that deters other plants from growing underneath them. I just know I have walked many a pine forest and the soil is void of any plant life. I have found ginseng under pines that were growing in the woods thou now and then. These were white pines and mixed with some hardwoods where I found them.

I wish you the best thou and it sounds like you have a plan and some good advice. Sometimes ginseng reminds me of Morel mushrooms. Just when you think you have them figured out they will break from the norm and surprise you.
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Who's Online

We have 214 guests and no members online

Login