2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planting this weekend!

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8900

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8901

I chose to put in what I'm calling \"water brakes\" to inhibit erosion. The area we are using has bee overrun with high rhododendron, and in clearing that understory, I want no loss of seed beds due to that. Our grade of slope is about 25 degrees up this mountain, and that was another cncern. I might have over-compensated for the heavy rains, however I'm of the philosophy that \"it's better to have it and not need it, that need it and not have it.\"

Some established growers take a different approach, and have their beds go down the hill. I have taken the approach of having my beds go across the slope, again, this just seemed like the thing to do at the time. I'll try both approaches with future plantings. What you see are the bottom area of the mountainside, and most of the beds I got in this week are further up the hill.

Well, I can't seem to get the images to load just now, will try again later. any suggustions as to how to load images?

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8902

Whitjr

Here's a page about uploading pictures. Then click on the link by TNhunter.

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Foru...nnouncement&id=1

Usually the problem is the photo is too large. There are alot of online programs to resize photos.

I personally like planting all my beds running up and down the hill.

From Scott Persons book pg 90 by Andy Hankins:

\"Lay out defined sections 5' wide and 50' long, running up and down the hillside, rather than across the face of the slope, for better air and water drainage around the plants\"

I have found over the years that drainage is not a problem when you plant up and down the hillside. And we get we average about 33\" of rain a year.

classicfur

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8904

thanks for the suggestions. I think my photos at too big, as my camera is set 'way higher that 600x800. I'll resize them tonight.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Who's Online

We have 78 guests and no members online

Login