2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planting this weekend!

Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8840

Very glad to get seeds into the ground this weekend. Am taking off a few days next week as well, and hope to get 1/3 of an acre planted.

I've been working on the slope of this patch for the past several months, preparing the ground. It's a lot like work, however I know it will be worth it in the end.

I guess that I'll just have to be more regular on this forum afterwards! Wish me luck!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8845

Whitjr

How many lbs of seed are you planting? For a third of an acre I'm Guessing about 8 lbs.

Won't be long before they emerge.

Good luck or your planting!

classicfur

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8846

Sounds pretty ambitious for the first of March, good luck!

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8847

Good Luck Whitjr !

I hope every seed you plant does well.

I gave serious thought to ordering more seed and planting more but I think I may call it quits for the year on planting.

I planted nearly 4 lbs of seed this fall/winter.

Think I will wait and see how what I have planted so far does this spring and summer and then plant more next fall/winter.

I can't imagine planting 1/3 of an acre in a week - that would not be sort of like work - that would definately be WORK.

Me - I would rather get in 1/2 lb of seed and get that planted, then wait a week or two and do that again.

That is mostly what I did this year and that worked good for me but now here in Mid TN you can plant most of the winter months so there is no big rush to get it all done in a short time in the fall or spring.

Be sure and send in some pic's when your patches start coming up !

TNhunter

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8871

I am back from the planting in the mountains! It was a lot of work, even wth the ground prep done previously. Since this is my 2nd planting [only, ever] we overestimated the efforts required.. only got about a pound in. Anyway, it was a great experience, and a series of learning moments. Weather was a problem, lots of rain and snow up there. we only had about 2 1/2 days to get seed in inbetween weather.

The Person book is an excellent guide, and an excellent investment. He mentions 3 different methods of planting there... we have tried all three in the 1/3 of an acre that we got in. simple broadcast, broadcast w/ mulching, and individual planting of each seed. I plan on keeping good diagrams as to each bed and the way it was planted... we'll just have to see how it goes.

Am heading back up there tomorrow to get more in, as the weather should permit more work. We came back yesterday as the weather had given us two days of rain, to be followed by 2\" of snow there. We decided that sleeping in our own home was the way to go for that time.

Thanks to you guys for the encouraging comments, and for the assistance on posts in this forum.

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8877

Whitjr

Good idea to try different methods. I think you will quickly decide which one is best for you and your area.

Hope you see good results this spring!

classicfur

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8889

We finished what we set out to do, got 2 & 2/3 pounds of seed in the first patch. I guess that it took us about 5 hours last Sat, and the weather was excellent for it. I found the agri gypsum, and spread around 120 pounds of it all over the many beds we put in, just after the seeds went in. I am trusting that things will go well, as conditions seem correct for the good growth.

We put in water brakes, to controll erosion... some of the beds in patch one are on a 20 degree slope, this seems like a good thing to do. We used some of the fallen logs around 6\" in diameter to cross the base of each bed to do this.

I'm excited to see what things look like in a couple of weeks!

How long do you guys thing it will take to see growth?

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8891

Whitjr

Up here in Maine and Wisconsin they start emerging around the first week of May through about the 21st of May. My older plants 4-7 yrs old emerge first on down to the 2-3 yr olds and new seedlings emerging last

I'm sure that south of me they come up sometime in April.

classicfur

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8892

Whitjr, do you have any pictures you can share? Would like to see your \"water breaks\". Were they just the logs you mention, or did you also dig a small trench?

Re:Planting this weekend! 13 years 1 month ago #8895

Whitjr,

Looks like Gibsonville NC is just slightly north of my location here in Middle TN.

Here the seng tops first appear Mid April (last year April 17th) the tops were up on some that I transplanted the previous fall.

I am sure that varies some each spring.

Hopefully we will both be seeing our seedlings emerge by around April 20-25 - could be earlier or later depending on exactly how the spring plays out.

I noticed on a morrell mushroom site the other day that the first sightings of morrells varies by as much as a week or more each year in the same locations. Can be as early as 03/25 here in Middle TN, or as late as April 10th when the first ones are found.

Good Luck to you !

TNhunter

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 376 guests and no members online

Login