2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Got my soil sample back

Got my soil sample back 13 years 3 weeks ago #9482

Got my soil sample back and the results were a little odd. The hydrogen was off the hook! I was happy to see the low PH, would have liked to seen the calcium higher. I read in Persons book not to add gypsum if it was 2000 mine is a little under. I think I will add some anyway? I like the labs recomedation to add 110# of lime per 1000 square foot---NOT. Any comments are appreciated!
Thanks!
Ray

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Got my soil sample back 13 years 3 weeks ago #9488

koolrayz

The overall results look pretty good.

The (p) phosphorus is a little on the low side. But I have found all my new seed beds to be close to be low in phosphorus. But after years, the roots are growing well and healthy.

The low Ph is excellent and is What Bob Beyfuss found in Healthy stands of wild roots.

By adding Gypsum at the rate recommended by Beyfuss in Person's book. 5 lbs per 100 sq ft applied before the plants emerge should raise the calcium about 700-1000 ppa above the amount in test.

They have have always recommended to add lime in my soil tests. But that will raise the soil PH. Not a good idea.

I think you should do well with your soil, with the addition of gypsum

Good Luck!

classicfur

Re:Got my soil sample back 13 years 3 weeks ago #9495

YOur report format is very readable.... and your sample looks pretty good!

I wish that the free reports from the NC State Ag division were that readable. While there are more values reported, it's a bit harder to read. I'm not looking \"a gift horse in the mouth\" tho. All soil test processed this way here in NC are free!

I gathered five more soil samples to determine the state of things after the lime/gypsum additions. I'll be sending these out this week.

Re:Got my soil sample back 13 years 3 weeks ago #9497

I paid $22 for that sample.
I am going to add the gypsum tonight. I bought pellets and dont have anything up yet. With the rain we have had and more on the way it should go right in. I am worried about my beds, they are VERY wet for a while.

Re:Got my soil sample back 13 years 2 weeks ago #9539

I'm sending out 5 more samples in today's mail. I am doing serial samples [maybe I'm a bit OCD!] to determine how the soil changes in my area of the woods. I'm converting woods that was ver very brushy to growing beds, and want to know how the changes are taking place, with each additional application of lime/gypsum. I'll post sometime a graph on how the additions have changed things eventually.

Re:Got my soil sample back 13 years 2 weeks ago #9557

I threw down #40 pellet gypsum last night

Re:Got my soil sample back 13 years 2 weeks ago #9573

koolrayz

That pelletized gypsum is sure easy to apply. And it's not messy like the powder gypsum.

How many Sq ft did you cover with the 40 lbs?

Thanks

classicfur

Re:Got my soil sample back 13 years 2 weeks ago #9582

about a thousand feet.
I have another bag I will throw later in the year. I want to add some this summer on the beds I will plant this fall.

Re:Got my soil sample back 13 years 2 weeks ago #9597

koolrayz

I have found that two applications of gypsum like you did. Once in the fall and once in spring, raises the calcium about 1900 ppa. So your one application should raise the ca about 950 ppa. This is just what I have found to be true for my soil.

That's a good idea to add gypsum to areas your planning to plant. If you spread some in the summer, then you could add more right after you plant seeds this fall.

Good Luck!

classicfur

Re:Got my soil sample back 13 years 2 weeks ago #9604

I also sprayed plant helper about ten days ago. I just hope to start seeing some plants. It's been a month since I planted and most of the seeds were smiling when I planted them so I am sure they were good. It was only a half pound that was all I could find. The roots I planted seemd to have a good bud Im going to lay out an acre and start working on it pretty soon. Figure on putting in at least 10# this fall. Im thinking I will need a pallet of gypsum :blink:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 427 guests and no members online

Login