2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Growing Ginseng in a Pine Forest

Growing Ginseng in a Pine Forest 13 years 3 weeks ago #9505

I was looking around on youtube at ginseng vids and found a new one and yep they grew seng in a pine forest.

They mentioned 6 years and it looks like it was cultivated.

If you watch it all they show harvesting the tops for making seng tea.

I wonder if anyone has tried that (growing in pines) here in the US.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Growing Ginseng in a Pine Forest 13 years 3 weeks ago #9506

from the looks of the soil I bet he did alot of amending before he planted

Re:Growing Ginseng in a Pine Forest 13 years 3 weeks ago #9507

TN
I have a few 4 year old's grown from seed growing under my white pines in my yard. They are doing good. I tried a few under my Spruce trees and the seeds died. Too dry. I saw that video once and it was interesting. I have found wild ginseng under pines now and then but not often.

Woods cultivated for sure and I bet you are right Hillhopper on soil amendments
Latt.

Re:Growing Ginseng in a Pine Forest 13 years 3 weeks ago #9511

Guys

Here's from an earlier post: How many pines?

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Foru...many-pines.html#8352

Here's what I wrote:

\"Years ago I read about seng growing well under White Pines. So 4 years ago I planted a bunch under the edge of a Large White pine. And I mulched them with the dead needles from under that tree. I might add that the bed is positioned so it gets the right amount of light. Those roots are doing very well.\"

This past fall I planted about 100 more seeds under the edge of a different White Pine and will see if they do as well as the ones I planted four years ago. I believe they will look like Wild-Simulated. This fall I might dig a few and see what they look like. This has been sort of a test on a small scale to see what happens.

In that video it appears that they have raised beds or tilled up soil. Thats probably why they look like cultivated roots.?

White pine is the only pine that I have found documentation of successfull ginseng growing.

classicfur

Re:Growing Ginseng in a Pine Forest 13 years 3 weeks ago #9513

While that's interesting, I'm glad that the conifers are only a few where I'm planting. I think there's only about 15 on the acres I'm working on.

Re:Growing Ginseng in a Pine Forest 13 years 1 week ago #9778

Ginseng grows fine under conifers, white cedar,red and white spruce, white pine and hemlock, as long as it's a mix of with hardwood, but we have an acre plot under mostly cedar on a north slope that is growing very well. We planted there because the soil and everything else was perfect.Our test plots grew well there so we tried an acre.
try it if it looks good {fifty seed test plot}.

guy

Re:Growing Ginseng in a Pine Forest 13 years 1 week ago #9780

Ginseng seems to grow fine with the cedars and hemlocks.

I have a bed of three yr olds thats planted under maples and and white cedars scattered along the edge, and one cedar right in the middle of the bed.

These three year olds have been doing great with the white cedar. That bed was the first three yr olds to emerge this spring.

Note dead cedar twig.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds

Who's Online

We have 185 guests and no members online

Login