2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone else having trouble with germination?

Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9617

I've had poor germination, even with the seeds I potted in planters. Last year, I put out one pound in the spring, and potted a couple of hundred in a few long planters, saw 100% germination in those. This year, I put out 5 pounds, and used the same planters as a baseline for this lot of seeds. So far, I've seen six plants come up in the planters. Beds and hillside plantings have also done poorly.

But, after reading the 3 prong thread, it looks like I may not the only person having less than good germination, and it's not from the same supplier, either. So I thought I'd ask - who has seen poor germination this spring?

Also - what should seeds bought in the fall look like? This is only my 2nd year, and last year, I got the seeds in the spring. Lat year, the seeds were all cracked, many with pigtails showing. The five pounds I bought last fall were all solid, no cracks anywhere. Should seeds obtained in the fall be showing cracks in the shell?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9624

Johno,

I planted 3.7 lbs of seed this past fall/winter and got it from 3 different sources and the seed I got from hardwoodginseng and wildgrown did great - very high germination rate.

The seed I got from Hardings (luckily only 1/2 pound which I planted in 4 beds) only about 1% of that actually germinated this spring. I scratched around and found some of those seeds and they are still alive, soild and white on the inside, but just have not germinated. I am hoping they will come up next spring.

Some of the seeds in that hardings batch had 1/4\" tails when I got them and some (very small %) sprouted and came up, but the rest are remaining dormant for some reason.

I planted the seed within 2-3 days of getting it from hardings and kept it stored in the fridge until planted. It was the last seed that I planted this year (early Feb).

TNhunter

Re:Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9630

johno

Some years the seeds I get have a lot that are cracked and smiling. But most years there are only a few that are smiling. And both types have produced high percent germination. Also, all of the seeds were bought from the same seed source.

It does not seem to make much difference if they are smiling or not.

Question. Have you checked the seeds under the soil to see what their condition is? Are they firm with a white interior? Or are they rotting or have signs of disease? Are they dried out? Mulch too heavy or thick? Seeds attacked by slugs?

So you know why they did'nt germinate well. You need to do some ivestigating to determine what the cause was.

It's frustrating to see seedlings fail and even more so, to not have a reason why.

Wish you good Luck!

classicfur

Re:Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9634

I wish that I had something real valueable to contribute here, however I don't think my weather has allowed for full germination of everything yet.

I'll know in two weeks about the full germination results... wether to get upset or do a dance!

Re:Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 1 week ago #9667

Yes, most should be smiling at you. IF ya buy through the mail and they're not smilin send them back.

guy

Re:Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 1 week ago #9668

Guy

I disagree with that. Several years I've recieved seeds that the majority were'nt smiling, and they end up with high germination rate.

So that's not a true indicator of bad seeds.

classicfur

Re:Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 1 week ago #9670

Supposed to be a danger of frost this week up near my plantings. I suppose that will slow things down even again.

Have you guys seen seedlings that are damaged by a late frost? Or, are they frost hearty, like spinanch and onions....

Re:Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 1 week ago #9675

They are so fragile looking when they first emerge. However, I have never lost any that I can tell from a frost. So they must be frost hearty little plants.
Latt

Re:Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 1 week ago #9677

Thanks, Latt-

Perhaps you have a sticking key on your 'puter? double respoinses to post....????

Re:Anyone else having trouble with germination? 13 years 1 week ago #9678

I saw that, I do not usually repeat myself or double post.

I saw that, I do not usually repeat myself or double post.
lol
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 528 guests and no members online

Login